TA496 vs TA473

Ask any questions relating to the PicoScope hardware or kit contents here.
If you have any questions prior to purchasing the kit post them here.
idickers2002

TA496 vs TA473

Post by idickers2002 »

I am deciding on which current clamps to get to use with my 4425a scope. This is for primarily automotive repair and diagnostic use; virtual compression check, battery drain, fuel injection, coil on plug ignition, alternator output, etc. However, I am also building a race car with standalone ecu and AiM power distribution module, so I'll want to check the low-amp circuits as I build that project car up.

I think the TA388 will work for a majority of my needs, but am having a difficult time deciding between the TA496 or the TA473 for lower amperage testing.

ben.martins
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Re: TA496 vs TA473

Post by ben.martins »

Hello,

Firstly I must apologise for the late reply.

There are some differences between the two clamps.

Firstly the jaw size. The TA473 has a slightly bigger opening in the jaw allowing cables up to 12mm compared to the TA496 which has a jaw opening of 9mm. This can be useful for battery drain measurements as the larger opening may allow connection to some battery cables.

Performance wise, the TA473 does have better drift capability when compared to the TA496. This makes the TA473 a better choice for parasitic drain measurements, but that isn’t to say it doesn’t drift. All clamps will suffer from some level of drift.

Resolution is better with the TA473 being 1mA with filtering activated compared to the TA496 which is 5mA with filtering active. That being said, I have used both clamps successfully for measuring CAN current which can be seen in the following post - topic22527.html.

Size wise the TA473 is a bigger clamp. This can make it awkward to use in tight spaces.

For general low current measurements in and around the engine bay, the TA496 will suit your needs. If you want a clamp which can handle a slightly larger cable size with better performance and drift capabilities whilst also being able to handle all the other current measurements, the TA473 is the one to go for.

I hope this helps.

Ben

maniekdaniel

Post by maniekdaniel »

Will the Ta 018 probe also show the CAN current?

ben.martins
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by ben.martins »

Hi,

In theory it should do. However, TA018 tends to have some problems with really low current as seen on the following webpage. https://www.picoauto.com/products/curre ... rent-clamp.

This possible ‘sawtooth’ may hide the CAN current when you start to look closer.

It’s worth giving it a go though.

Kind regards

Ben