How do I know when the first frame will be overwritten?

Ask any questions about using the new PicoScope 7 Automotive software here.
Tomblueprintauto
OneWave
OneWave

How do I know when the first frame will be overwritten?

Post by Tomblueprintauto »

I want to perform a parasitic drain test on a car overnight. I'll set everything up and come back 16 hours later to look at the data.

The problem is that Pico7 starts to overwrite the frames when it gets full. Usually I get 64 frames but if I up the sample rate sometimes it starts to overwrite after 32 frames or less. It also doesn't tell you how many frames your going to get until its already starting to overwrite them.
Ie it goes "1 of 1, 2 of 2, 3 of 3......64 of 64, 64 of 64" etc. It never says "1 of 64" while capturing.

So how can I see, before I leave the workshop, that my given sample rate and time base will allow a 16 hour capture and I won't get to work and find I've only got the last 2 hours saved?

Rfmotors1
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: How do I know when the first frame will be overwritten?

Post by Rfmotors1 »

Hi Tomblueprintauto,
This is something I also wanted to know but with the "action" function it is not a big deal now, even I would like to have counter of remaining frames before the overwriting starts deleting oldest ones.

My own solution.
I do solve this problem by using the "Action" which saves the filled buffer by frames just before the overwriting starts. Then the capture starts again and once buffer gets full, it saves new captures under different file name so the pico will keep capturing and saving until I stop it.
I use it for test drives, plug in all probes, set up and start capturing. Then any driver goes for test drive and when he returns, I get my data. It's also useful for overnight current leak monitoring as you are doing.
The best explanation on how to use "Actions" is by Steve in the link below.

viewtopic.php?t=22097&start=90#p103147

Hope it helps you,
Roman

Tomblueprintauto
OneWave
OneWave

Re: How do I know when the first frame will be overwritten?

Post by Tomblueprintauto »

Thank you for the info. That is going to be very helpful