piezo injector waveform and needle movement

Ask for and share advice on using the PicoScope kit to fix vehicles here.
zebraone
OneWave
OneWave

piezo injector waveform and needle movement

Post by zebraone »

Ford Focus 1,6TDCI III 2011, diesel Duratorc

Hello everyone !

I have noticed that the closing current ends just after a very small peak (I find exactly this small peak at the same place on all the recordings of the other cylinders).

Can this small peak can show the precise moment of immobilization of the needle? Or do i dream :-) ?

Please see the black arrow on the graph and keep remind that it is piezo and not solenoide injectors.

If you have any further comments, please feel free :-)

Greats thanks !!
Nico
Pico 2O24A
Attachments
Cyl 1fleche.png

zebraone
OneWave
OneWave

Re: piezo injector waveform and needle movement

Post by zebraone »

Up, no more ideas here ? :cry:

zebraone
OneWave
OneWave

Post by zebraone »

toujours pas d'idées ? :(

Steve Smith
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by Steve Smith »

Hello and thank you for the post, sorry for the late reply

An interesting question for sure and one where I have referred back to the operation of conventional solenoid injectors (Petrol port injectors)

The disruption we see during the ramping up of port injector current is caused by a disruption to the magnetic field about the solenoid windings as the pintle lifts off its seat and pass through the said windings. Likewise, the same event can be seen in the induced voltage as the pintle closes
Image 1
Image 1
With Diesel Piezo injectors, there is no mechanical link or electrical interaction between the piezo stack and the pintle of the injector. The “link” between these components is hydraulic and pintle movement is created by a differential in fluid pressure (“Fluid” being diesel)

I have then taken a look at our example waveform with the Guided Test here https://www.picoauto.com/library/automo ... o-current/ and highlighted the area you mention in your image
Image 2
Image 2
This would appear to be a final oscillation of discharged current dissipating into the injector circuit given the reduction in amplitude and frequency

With that said, “Never Say Never” and I sense another experiment coming on.

I would repeat this test looking at injector voltage (both sides of the injector) and current. I would then add fuel pressure and an accelerometer to the injector pipework or a listening device clamped around the body of the injector (Non magnetic of course)

Next, I would choose a high sample rate and focus on just one injection event (Pre, Pilot or Main)

Here we can observe the behavior of the common rail fuel pressure in relation to an injection event whilst monitoring voltage structure, voltage differential and injector current against vibration/sound generated during the process

From this capture we may be able to attribute events seen within the current to physical events within the injector

On a side note, for anyone curious about Piezo injectors, we have discussed their functionally in depth here topic19561.html

I hope this helps, take care……Steve

zebraone
OneWave
OneWave

Post by zebraone »

Steve, it's just fascinating to read you !! :D :D
I'm going to do this test again to see
Thanks a lot, and nice we !