Newbie presents himself :p

Come here to introduce yourself, who you are, what you do, and tell us your
experience with our automotive products.
-Richard-

Newbie presents himself :p

Post by -Richard- »

Hello All,
New here and new to scopes in general. I'm Richard, 27years old and escalated hobby diagnostic technician. I live in the North of The Netherland and my vision is towards BMW.

Since I am owning a BMW myself and the shop labour costs at the local dealerships are skyhigh.. I started working on my 130i myself. I needed only 1 visit at the dealership and it opened my eyes that I could do that work myself. My interests into the workings of a vehicle are very wide. The mechanical/suspension/aligment/updates but also the in car entertaiment.

I do various coding/retrofitting for around 4 year and since last year I started doing repairs for customers. Had a few issues where I was not able to pinpoint the issue and needed a scope to see for instance the waveform of the crankshaft sensor. I returned the vehicle unrepaired.

I decided to buy a secondhand but new unused Picoscope 4424 from a older man in Germany. And now I'm here :lol:
I'm looking forward to getting to know alot more about sensors and the functioning of things. I didn't search extensive but it looks like there are also some dutchies around here. That's nice and feels 'home'. :)

Cheers all and have a good one.
'Richard

liviu2004
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: Newbie presents himself :p

Post by liviu2004 »

Welcome, pico will serve you good. Head to picoscope.nl and buy while the stock lasts. Whatever you need for connections, etc.
Leave the differential probe for me. :D
Groetjes,
Liviu
Capelle a/d IJssel

Steve Smith
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by Steve Smith »

Hello Richard, thank you for the introduction and welcome to the forum

There is plenty of help here from all nationalities which makes for interesting and diverse topics.

Not all vehicles/machines apply to all markets yet they will turn up on our forum given the common denominator is PicoScope (Basically Richard, there we have a mix of anything and everything )

I am pleased you have managed to obtain a PicoScope but please be aware the 4424 is a Test and Measurement scope from our T&M range.

This means your scope will not run with PicoScope 7 Automotive software where you will miss out on a number of features we have highlighted here viewtopic.php?p=87821#p87821

I hope the above helps and once again, welcome to the forum

Take care......Steve

-Richard-

Post by -Richard- »

Thank you both,

I noticed that Steve, but hooking up the scope to V7 software didn't gave me any hassle right away. What I did notice is that it once crashed during measurement and once after when analysing the data on my desktop PC.

But considering the price of this one and a new set made me almost no-brain on using this first.I am taking care of treating it right so I think it will hold a decent value for that I am owning it. Would love to update in the future :)

ben.martins
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by ben.martins »

Hi Richard,

If you do experience a crash in PS7 can ask you to hit the 'Send' button on the crash reporter? This will then come into Pico for the software team to analyze. If you have continue to notice crashes then we may have to dig a little deeper in which case we would ask you to email into support@picotech.com.

Have a good week!

Kind regards

Ben