Bosch 13751

Ask for and share advice on using the PicoScope kit to fix vehicles here.
raul.garcia.sr

Bosch 13751

Post by raul.garcia.sr »

I have a 2005 vw Passat 1.8T that belongs to my daughter, (but in my name.)
She had a CEL but ignored it until registration renewal came around.
Had a P0174 so she just replace the o2 (Bosch 17351) and headed off to emissions testing, and it failed and she couldn't fix it within the 2 week time limit.
So she handed me the keys and said, it's your car, you fix it.
To make a long story short I reinstalled the old sensor and still got P0130 almost immediately. I wasn't experiencing any of the symptoms that could set this code. I wasn't accepting that 2 sensors would give me the same code.
So, I take my Audi A4 2.0T for a logging of the relevant O2 pids, and did the same on the Passat for comparing.
The only difference between the 2 was that the Passat had no reading for the B!SI resistance PID.
That lead me to search for technical articles pertaining to the Bosch 1375, specifically, the Pico article" Testing the Bosch LSU 4.2 broadband oxygen sensor".
I did all the testing of the sensors & PCM as directed, and didn't find any issues.
In testing the PCM side, and even though my measurements were within specs, I was not satisfied, as the results were inconclusive because the results were that the O2 and the PCM were good.

I then accepted that the O2 was good so, either the wiring, or the PCM are bad. So I proceeded as if the PCM 2,6 to chassis ground/battery positive had a short.
Disconnected the positive cable and did the test and the 2,6 to chassis read 1.6K, 1.7K ohms respectively, and to the positive when connected a dead short to either pin, I didn't expect this because the resistance across 2,6 was 62.2 ohms well within specs.
So my question is where did I go wrong, or just did I just confuse myself?

slashsam
OneWave
OneWave

Re: Bosch 13751

Post by slashsam »

raul.garcia.sr wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:34 am
I have a 2005 vw Passat 1.8T that belongs to my daughter, (but in my name.)
She had a CEL but ignored it until registration renewal came around.
Had a P0174 so she just replace the o2 (Bosch 17351) and headed off to emissions testing, and it failed and she couldn't fix it within the 2 week time limit.
So she handed me the keys and said, it's your car, you fix it.
To make a long story short I reinstalled the old sensor and still got P0130 almost immediately. I wasn't experiencing any of the symptoms that could set this code. I wasn't accepting that 2 sensors would give me the same code.
So, I take my Audi A4 2.0T for a logging of the relevant O2 pids, and did the same on the Passat for comparing.
The only difference between the 2 was that the Passat had no reading for the B!SI resistance PID.
That lead me to search for technical articles pertaining to the Bosch 1375, specifically, the Pico article" Testing the Bosch LSU 4.2 broadband oxygen sensor".
I did all the testing of the sensors & PCM as directed, and didn't find any issues.
In testing the PCM side, and even though my measurements were within specs, I was not satisfied, as the results were inconclusive because the results were that the O2 and the PCM were good.

I then accepted that the O2 was good so, either the wiring, or the PCM are bad. So I proceeded as if the PCM 2,6 to chassis ground/battery positive had a short.
Disconnected the positive cable and did the test and the 2,6 to chassis read 1.6K, 1.7K ohms respectively, and to the positive when connected a dead short to either pin, I didn't expect this because the resistance across 2,6 was 62.2 ohms well within specs.
So my question is where did I go wrong, or just did I just confuse myself?

You can try the following dealer recommendations for oxygen sensor errors.
TSB Passat 18t 2005.jpg
But in general, it is necessary to study the voltage of the sensor, its change in voltage and response time. And also pay attention to the excessive lean of the fuel-air mixture and the factors influencing this.