Deere tech

Come here to introduce yourself, who you are, what you do, and tell us your
experience with our automotive products.
Cliff Roberts

Deere tech

Post by Cliff Roberts »

Hello all. Deere ag dealer tech here. I'm fairly new to oscilloscopes as they are not widely used in this industry. We purchased a Hantek 6074be about a year ago as a cheap entry to see if a scope could aid in more conclusive diagnostics (mostly Denso HEUI and coil injectors as most of the electronic hpcr systems Deere uses are Denso). I've also used it in diagnosing intermittent faults in various other sensors (non engine)and think the value is there. My question is, are there any reference waveforms in the Pico library specific to John Deere? I think a Pico 4425 will be a great aid, but based on the research done, it seems I'll be going it mostly alone and have to build my own database for reference (for Deere specific at least). I know the Denso systems are used on other on road applications, so maybe that could cross over. Would the waveforms be much different with the same system used on a different engine? We sometimes have issues pinpointing misfire issues. Deere has a built in misfire detection test and cylinder cutout, but often they don't result in a solid conclusion and the entire set of injectors end up getting replaced.

Anyways, I'm pleased to be a part of this community and hope to start making contributions to the library once a Picoscope is in hand. If I can prove to the boss a Pico can be a significant diagnostic aid, I could get them to foot the bill, otherwise it will be a personal purchase. (I think the biggest factor is nobody else would be willing to invest the time to become proficient is using it, more job security for me I guess).

Thanks, Cliff

PhilS
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Re: Deere tech

Post by PhilS »

Hi Cliff and welcome to the Pico forum.

PicoScope is actually in use with lots of technicians and workshops outside the passenger car world (e.g. commercial vehicle users like DAF, Isuzu and Iveco), to diagnose their systems.
While we don't yet have a set of guided tests within PicoScope aimed at the agricultural vehicle market, we are starting to add to that category within the waveform library.

I had a chat with Ben, one of the Pico experts here, and he is going to look at John Deere to add some more systems into the waveform library. He is looking forward to building some great coverage, so please feel free to email him (via support@picotech.com), with suggestions on the systems that you would want to see most urgently.

PicoScope is also widely used by case New Holland repairers worldwide and many Claas, JCB, Agco and other technicians. We look forward to working with you and other repairers in the industry to increase our coverage.

We also recently launched a kit for diagnosis of engine and hydraulics which includes PicoScope 4425, electrical test accessories, hydraulic pressure transducer and can also be supplied with hydraulic flow meters. We have had some significant interest in that kit and expect to add more focus into the construction and agricultural equipment area.

If you want to know more about anything here, please email support@picotech.com

Best regards
Phil

Cliff Roberts

Post by Cliff Roberts »

Thanks for the reply Phil. Sounds like coverage is only going to get better. I look forward to learning and participating more once I get a Pico.

The one issue that comes to mind that I'm hoping an oscilloscope can help with is in regards to Delphi EUI and Denso HPCR solenoid injectors that Deere uses. We've had trouble in the past with engines that will have a noticable misfire but no codes. Deere has misfire and cutout tests in their diagnostic software, but they dont always provide a clear idea as to which injector has an issue.

I had success using a the Hantek scope to find a fuel shutoff solenoid that was causing interference on a clutch position signal and causing intermittent codes.

Thanks, Cliff

Autonerdz
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Autonerdz »

Cliff,

You have a response to your question you asked on our forums:

http://www.autonerdz.com/cgi/yabb2/YaBB ... 1411828049

We have a growing number in our community doing cutting edge stuff with PicoScope and Diesel/HD applications.

EAAD
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by EAAD »

Hi Cliff,

I will give my recommendation in the strongest possible terms I can.

Trust Bosjockeys replies, trust Tom Roberts and trust Autonerdz, (includes all people there), First class service, second to none support and excellent assistance worldwide.

If you’ve ever wondered why the Autonerdz resources are behind closed doors, I can tell you it’s because it’s that good.

Just my tuppence worth.

Cliff Roberts

Post by Cliff Roberts »

Thank you for the advice and information. Looks like a Pico will be a solid addition to the arsenal.

EAAD
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by EAAD »

A strong choice in my very humble opinion.

Final advice. Buy it with the full Autonerdz support package. The difference is unparalleled worldwide.
Chiffchiff wrote:Looks like a Pico will be a solid addition to the arsenal.
Moreover, the personnel who know how to use and interpret it! Hence the support package and training etc.

See you over there.