Pico "NVH Diagnostic Help" File Question

Ask questions relating specifically to the PicoDiagnostics NVH equipment and software here.
wmarlexingtonsc
OneWave
OneWave

Pico "NVH Diagnostic Help" File Question

Post by wmarlexingtonsc »

Hello,
I am currently in the process of reading back through all the NVH posts on this forum since the beginning... trying to suck all the information out of these posts that I can. Many of the case studies feature useful information to me. Although I love the NVH tool by Picoscope, the help section--at least on my version--seems really lacking when I have a question about NVH theory. Many times, I default back to the NVH app help section by John Kelly for an in-depth breakdown of testing methods for different harmonic orders (e.g., T1, T3, E1, P1, etc.). That guide is excellent, by the way. Looking back at an old post on the forum, it looks like the Help section in the Pico software was perhaps much more detailed in an earlier version of the software. Does anyone have any information about this and where I might obtain the earlier, more detailed version of the help guides in the Pico Software?

The forum post that I am referencing is found here: topic19181.html .

I have attached pictures of what I take to be the old help file and what I see when I open the help file in my version of PICO NVH.

Thank you all for your help.
Josh
Attachments
nvhcurrent.jpg
nvholdhelp.jpg

Steve Smith
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Re: Pico "NVH Diagnostic Help" File Question

Post by Steve Smith »

Hello Josh and thank you for the post

Sorry for my late reply and I will get to your other posts ASAP

Thanks for the heads up re the help files, just looking at the current help file and your screen shot of the earlier version for “Engine-speed related vibrations”:

Does the current help file not cover everything listed in the earlier version?

Could you indicate if any descriptions are missing?

How do you find the format of the current help file?

It would be really helpful to understand how we can improve here as NVH “Help” is essential, not just during the introduction to vibration and noise diagnosis, but throughout too

During diagnosis you can click on a vibration order marker to provide “just-in time” pop up help and also link back to the help guide
I will dig out the previous help files and take a look as any alterations made must result in an improvement

Take care……Steve

wmarlexingtonsc
OneWave
OneWave

Re: Pico "NVH Diagnostic Help" File Question

Post by wmarlexingtonsc »

Steve,
Although I cannot navigate through the old help menu, it looks to me, upon more reflection from the screen capture, that the menu was simply reorganized in a newer version, but still contains the same basic information.

Since I had used John Kelly's NVH app before I purchased the PICO NVH kit, I guess I was kind of spoiled by the help section there. To give some others a frame of reference, I have attached some pictures from John's app. Professionally speaking, everything else about NVH testing and analysis is superior in the higher dollar NVH kit from PICO, as you would expect. Nevertheless, John's help file really is an excellent supplement to the PICO NVH software.

Mainly what it does better is provide a list of most likely sources for vibrations at different frequencies, e.g., a top ten kind of list, with the MOST LIKELY issue being number one on the list, and the LEAST likely issue being the last number on the list. I find this kind of diagnostic flowchart helpful when formulating a test plan/plan of attack for approaching the particular problem in front of me. For example, if we are dealing with T1, as you said before Steve, you are MOST LIKELY dealing with a tire or wheel issue, though the list can of course proceed from there if no irregularities are found with runout or RFV. Moving on from these numbered lists, Kelly's help file offers a plethora of linked pictures, videos, and general technical information about the theory, operation, and testing of different components. I have attached some small portions of the help file from the latest BMW that I was diagnosing with NVH. (See my other thread about that here on the PICO NVH forum.) Kelly's help files are really quite extensive, the product of a professor who has clearly dedicated many years to the study and categorization of NVH phenomena. They are so well reasoned, organized, and documented, that it would not be an easy task to catch up in this regard. This help file was not written overnight.

In sum, the PICO NVH kit is an awesome tool, but if you are looking for guidance, it can be helpful to supplement it with John's NVH help file from the NVH app software, in my opinion. The app is worth the money for the help file alone!
Attachments
IMG_0437.jpg
IMG_0438.jpg
IMG_0442.jpg
IMG_0439.jpg
IMG_0440.jpg
IMG_0441.jpg