Trouble for test CAN BUS Ford Ranger 2021

If you are not a PicoScope user and want advice with a diagnostic problem then post here. Forum members may be able to help.
danielescala

Trouble for test CAN BUS Ford Ranger 2021

Post by danielescala »

Hi everyone. I have a problem with a Ford Ranger registered in 2021 2.0 tdci 170CV, I have an error U0100 loss of communication with ECM/PCM "A".
I tried to connect to pins 6 and 14 of the OBD socket to check the CAN network with the oscilloscope, but it doesn't work, I have 0.136V, no wave, with the battery disconnected, no resistance. I noticed that this Ford Ranger has an obd socket complete with smart data link module, could that be the problem why I can't read the CAN network? If so, do you know how to fix it? I have also tested other 2021 Ford Rangers in perfect working order and in none of them I can read the CAN network.

liviu2004
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: Trouble for test CAN BUS Ford Ranger 2021

Post by liviu2004 »

Newer vehicles don’t let you access the internal power train can directly. Hence you’ve met your gateway. Just go around it.

https://youtu.be/G31E4ML9ViY?feature=shared

Dcunning35
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: Trouble for test CAN BUS Ford Ranger 2021

Post by Dcunning35 »

You can't access networks for pcm etc without either back probing the rear of the gateway module.
Easiest way is to fabricate a breakout box lead to go between the harness and gateway installing an obd 16pin connection as a tail.
The gateway uses the same connector as the old 2003model year fiesta audio unit and these are available everywhere as conversion harnesses to fit aftermarket audio equipment via iso connectors.
Danny