Wideband oxygen sensor NTK UAA0004-MM002.(Outlander Sport)

If you are not a PicoScope user and want advice with a diagnostic problem then post here. Forum members may be able to help.
axis

Wideband oxygen sensor NTK UAA0004-MM002.(Outlander Sport)

Post by axis »

I have a Mitsubishi Outlander Sport (California version), and the peculiarity is that the car has a wideband oxygen sensor NTK UAA0004-MM002, but I don’t understand at all how it works. It seems like the sensor should be linear, but when I record the readings that the ECU itself calculates in the form of mixture composition vs output volts, it looks somehow wrong.
Maybe someone can tell me more about this sensor? Maybe there is some formula for calculating the composition of the mixture based on voltage?
This is the graph I was able to record using the M/U/T/ program, the sensor voltage and the mixture composition, which was calculated by the ECU car.
As you can see, the ECU cannot calculate the mixture richer than lambda 0.893, butI need to calibrate the mixture richer than this.
Attachments
Log data
Log data

KimAndersen
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: Wideband oxygen sensor NTK UAA0004-MM002.(Outlander Sport)

Post by KimAndersen »

Hi there.

My help extends to this image from the EPA.

When you look in the EPA database of type approvals of motor vehicles in the USA, I find that this type of linear broadband oxygen sensor is fitted in a Mitsubishi Outlander Sport 2.0L year 2016 in the following test group GMTXT02.4G5P.

As shown in the picture, this sensor NTK linear broadband oxygen sensor has a measurement range from 1.22 to 3.65 volts which fits very well with your measurement.

Mitsubishi Outlander Sport NTK WIDEBAND OXYGEN SENSOR
Mitsubishi Outlander Sport NTK WIDEBAND OXYGEN SENSOR

Unfortunately, there are no lambda values associated with the aforementioned voltage measurement of 1.22 to 3.65 volts.

The range in which this linear broadband oxygen sensor operates is apparently from 0.9 to 1.38 air fuel ratio (AFR).
If you want to measure below the AFR value of 0.9, I think you need a different type of linear broadband oxygen sensor with a different measuring range - unfortunately.

By the way, have you seen this post regarding a linear broadband oxygen sensor NTK ZFAS U2 mounted in a diesel car.

viewtopic.php?p=104634#p104634

That is my humble contribution.

Regards
Kim

axis

Post by axis »

Kim, thank you so much! Now it’s clear why the car’s ECU does not calculate AFR richer than 0.9.
Do you think we should try expand the graph a little to lambda 0.8, maybe it will work? At least approximately, high precision is not needed. But, judging by the recorded data, they are not linear, but rather exponential. I found the exact value of lambda "1" to be 2.320 volts, but still don't understand how try extend the curve down; If it’s linear, then it’s simple, or maybe it should be exponential?
No, I didn’t read your post, now I’ll read).
Thanks again!

axis

Post by axis »

I took a segment of recorded data up to lambda 1, (this is 257,000 recorded points calculated from the car's ECU). And I applied a trend line, obtaining the formula. Do you think this is correct? Could this work? But I'm confused whether it should be linear or exponential.
Attachments
Formula.png

KimAndersen
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by KimAndersen »

Hi Axis

It is a linear broadband oxygen sensor.

Don't get confused by the voltage measurements I took on an NTK ZFAS U2 broadband oxygen sensor, they are raw data from the sensor itself, i.e. not processed data.

The log file you have recorded is processed data from the processor and it is linear - that is the difference.

After looking in my documents for this special broadband oxygen sensor, I managed to find a document about exactly this type of sensor.

Let me first say that this picture is taken out of context from a company that makes something called the Lambda Transmitter for the NTK ZFAS U2 sensor.

Broadband Sensor Smart ZFAS U2 SM
Broadband Sensor Smart ZFAS U2 SM

In my opinion, you can use this graph to expand your table a little bit. This graph fits very well in relation to the voltage measurements you have made and those in the document from the EPA.

If you have the software from CurveExpert Professional, it is easy to create a new curve, especially a linear one.

I hope it can be used.

Regards
Kim

axis

Post by axis »

Great information, thanks Kim!
I’m starting to guess that the car’s ECU contains a chip from NTK, the so-called ASIC, and it is this that processes the data from the sensor and transmits this data to the ECU. Above you gave an example of such an ASIC, but it seems that its ratio is not suitable for my car, at the point of 1.43 volts the ECU considers the mixture to be 13.45 and according to the document above there should be a mixture of 10 AFR. But at the point of 2.3 volts the AFR is indicated at 14.6 - this coincides with my recorded data. I need to find out what microcircuit is in my ECU, I’ll try to open it and take a look his marking.
Best regards!

axis

Post by axis »

Good day all.
I managed to look inside the ECU, and there I found a chip from NTK (the one called ASIC).
Its marking is NTKIFB31-211Z04. I searched the Internet for datasheet, but I couldn’t find it (. Can someone share? Please, apparently the whole secret of calculating the formula is in this microcircuit.
Thanks in advance! I have attached a photo.
Attachments
asic.jpg

axis

Post by axis »

No luck finding the datasheet (((. I have asked many suppliers - no use, it seems to be some kind of secret development:). If I can find it, I will post it here.