Skoda Fabia Lin communication issues

Ask for and share advice on using the PicoScope kit to fix vehicles here.
Wealer
OneWave
OneWave

Skoda Fabia Lin communication issues

Post by Wealer »

Hi there,

I`m having some wierd Lin communication issues on a 2013 Skoda Fabia.
The customer complaint is that the horn and the power windows don`t work. Also the radio controls from the steering wheel don`t work.
It has a Lin communication DTC in the BCM and also no communication DTC`s for all 4 window motors and the multifunction switch on the steering wheel.
In the wiring diagram I can see there`s a LinBus from the BCM to all 4 window motors and the multifunction switch on the steering wheel.

When I disconnect the multifunction switch on the steering wheel the power windows start working and the DTC`s in the BCM can be cleared, only the no communication DTC for the switch stays active.

I`ve scoped the Lin signal:

Switch disconnected, Lin ok

Switch connected, Lin not ok.

As you can see the switch pulls the lin signal up and destroys the communication. It has good power and ground. The switch has been replaced (twice) with a oem part and a different BCM has also been swapped out, the problem is still present.

Any ideas to why this is happening would be appreciated.

vasek
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: Skoda Fabia Lin communication issues

Post by vasek »

Hi.
How was the voltage and grounding measured on the J453 connector?
It may be necessary to check the quality of the contact under low load.
When measured with a multimeter, everything may be fine on the connector when the unit is disconnected
But when connecting the j453 unit, a bad ground contact can cause the Lin to be pulled up to the plus.
Attachments
FABIA II J453.PNG

Wealer
OneWave
OneWave

Post by Wealer »

I`ve load tested the power and ground, it`s ok. I even provided the switch with a power and ground straight from the battery and connected the Lin wire at a different place in the network (window motor) to rule out any possible wiring issues. The problem stays the same. When I connect the steering wheel multifunction switch it pulls the Lin signal up.

Okbt123

Post by Okbt123 »

Hello. My first post on this forum :-)
Are you sure the coil spring (F350) is ok? The coil spring are snaping, and can cause a short when they do. That can lead to different kind og issues.

Wealer
OneWave
OneWave

Post by Wealer »

Okbt123 wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:31 am
Hello. My first post on this forum :-)
Are you sure the coil spring (F350) is ok? The coil spring are snaping, and can cause a short when they do. That can lead to different kind og issues.
Yes I`m sure F350 is not the cullprit. I`ve completely bypassed it (power / ground and Lin signal) and the problem doesn`t change.

Wealer
OneWave
OneWave

Post by Wealer »

I finally found the issue with this car. Turns out the OE wiring diagram is wrong. I found a different car with the same multifunction switch, in its wiring diagram pins 1 and 3 are swapped around. I wired the Fabia this way and now it works. With the pins connected wrong the switch isn`t grounded and the lin wire is connected to the ground pin.

Turns out someone was there before me and had the pins out of the plug and reinstalled them according to the diagram.