timing phase

Ask for and share advice on using the PicoScope kit to fix vehicles here.
rentor61

timing phase

Post by rentor61 »

good morning, I want to ask a question, is it possible to diagnose the crankshaft and camshaft signals with the pico to understand if the phase time is correct, is there a rule? Either this is a subjective logic for each diesel or petrol engine or it establishes it the manufacturer, let me explain, if I check the crankshaft signal and the camshaft signal in double track without synchronizing any cylinder, can I understand how many degrees of difference there must be between an engine signal and the cam signal?

Rfmotors1
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: timing phase

Post by Rfmotors1 »

Hi,
The answer is you can meassure the angle very accurately.
However you need to know the good known waveform value and also the condition at the capture.
Cam solenoids activated ot not activated. Another words, cam solenoids unplugged on both, good known and your car. Then you can compare and exactly meassure the deviation between the two.
(if the solenoids are active, the angle will be modulated and therefore you won't know what is the mechanical basic setting and modulated angle)

Some engines are idling with cams not modulated, some are active.
Hope it helps,

Best Regards,
Roman

Steve Smith
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Re: timing phase

Post by Steve Smith »

Hello and thank you for the posts

The inhibiting of VVT operation is paramount as Roman has explained

We have some examples of such tests here viewtopic.php?p=101634#p101634 in our One Waveform One Picture series

The above link also contains additional links to correlation measurements with PicoScope 6 (which I will amend to PS7) but they do serve as good examples of the measurement techniques

The following video uses data taken from the Reference Waveform Library (RWL) to carry out correlation measurements using PicoScope 7

Whilst Ben's video takes you through the functionality of the RWL

I hope this helps, take care......Steve