PQ334 vs WPS500

Ask any questions relating to the PicoScope hardware or kit contents here.
If you have any questions prior to purchasing the kit post them here.
brucestafo
OneWave
OneWave

PQ334 vs WPS500

Post by brucestafo »

Hello, is it worth buying the PQ334 pressure transducer as a second tool to my WPS500?
Will I get similar captures from both tools, if measuring from the same source?

What I want to know is, has anyone compare these two transducers?

I like the idea of not having to recharge the battery, but want to be sure that I can use them together and don't have to worry about different results.

Steve Smith
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Re: PQ334 vs WPS500

Post by Steve Smith »

Hello and thank you for the post

The BNC+ pressure transducer (PQ334) here https://www.picoauto.com/products/press ... er-adaptor is exactly as you describe “a second tool to my WPS500”

Think of the WPS500 as a one-size-fits-all pressure transducer from – 1 bar to 34.5 bar, whereas the BNC+ pressure transducer has areas of exceptional performance from – 1 bar through to its peak at 14 bar

If the BNC+ pressure transducer has one weakness it surrounds light pressure pulsation’s such as exhaust tailpipe, intake manifolds and to some degree crankcase pressure. (Depending on pressure differentials)

Given we require superior resolution and a fast response time when measuring the pressures mentioned above, the WPS delivers on all counts and would be the tool of choice

With that said, there are far more pressure applications than intake, crankcase & exhaust pulsation measurements

Starting below with simultaneous in-cylinder measurements (below 14 bar)
Here we have the WPS500 (Channel A) v PQ334 (Channel B)
The performance of both transducers is good; note the slight phase shift from the PQ334 which could be attributed to Bandwidth limit being applied on connection, or the influence of a combined simultaneous in-cylinder measurement (i.e., our test configuration)

Below we qualify the ability of the PQ334 to accurately return negative pressure
Below I have used the PQ334 (ONLY) for capturing exhaust back pressure pre-DPF
As you can see from the above captures, the PQ334 has multiple applications with the additional benefit of BNC+, therefore; no internal battery to charge, no range or zoom to consider and auto configuration & “Zero” on connection (plug-n-play)

I hope the above helps and if there is a particular measurement you would like to see with the PQ334, just reply here and I will set this up ASAP

Take care……Steve

picowight
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by picowight »

Can you explain the high price of the PQ334 ?

Whilst there is a "proprietary premium" of the BNC+, even when compared with other BNC+ units -such as the 30A clamp at £177+VAT for example, to me £300+VAT is difficult to justify the benefit over a very similar performing but non BNC + unit for £80.

brucestafo
OneWave
OneWave

Post by brucestafo »

Thanks for the comparison images. This is exactly what I wanted to see. I was hoping that it would perform just as good on pressure pulses.

Steve Smith
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by Steve Smith »

Hello and thank you for the feedback and the request for an explanation on the price of the PQ344

The PQ344 Pressure Transducer was specified by one of our Vehicle Manufacturer customers and typically retails beyond the current price of £295.

It is designed and manufactured to very high standards and reflects the VM need for a long service life in workshop conditions.

While lower-cost transducers are available in the market, we must ensure that whatever we incorporate into our solutions will meet all our global certifications, compliance requirements (again in line with VM standards) and guaranteed quality over a long period of availability and service life.

It is good to be challenged on all fronts, be they technical or otherwise and I hope the above goes someway to reassuring you the Pico products you purchase are fit-for-purpose on which to base an accurate diagnosis backed by our software and support.

Take care……Steve