Do I have a valid point?

Ask any questions about using the new PicoScope 7 Automotive software here.
Technician
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Do I have a valid point?

Post by Technician »

I'll always be in learning mode with PicoScope 7. Here shown is a typical trace of the ignition primary for both voltage and current. To get four cylinders on the scope graticule, I had to increase the time base to 20 ms/div. Now the fun begins...

The ignition coil primary windings are shorting on two cylinders operation and the remaining two cylinders are not as far as I can tell.

So to get the clearest comparison view possible, the traces need to be expanded, but in my limited knowledge to date, it seems that by keep magnifying the traces I lose definition and the traces start to move off the graticule screen, which means that I can't overlay or stack the poor waveform to the good waveform so that the viewer can see the fault clearly.

So what I trying to say is that when I use the zoom function the traces become out of range and detail is lost.

is there a way round this or is there some type of chnages can be made to the software to allow clearer comparison viewing of the traces in these examples, because if I expand them anymore they will be off screen, and the detail is not there for viewing?

Thanks
Attachments
Capture of ignition system operation.PNG

Steve Smith
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Re: Do I have a valid point?

Post by Steve Smith »

Hello and thank you for the post

Would you have the psdata file with the ignition coil primary windings shorted?

If you can upload here that would be great and I will run through the analysis options

Take care....Steve

Technician
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: Do I have a valid point?

Post by Technician »

Thanks Steve, let me find it and find a way to upload it here. File sizes?