Tyre vs Bearing Noise

Ask questions relating specifically to the PicoDiagnostics NVH equipment and software here.
autoairsteer

Tyre vs Bearing Noise

Post by autoairsteer »

Hi all, I am looking to buy the NVH kit but would like to know before if there is a definitive way to distinguish between wheel bearing and tyre noise.
TIA

Rfmotors1
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: Tyre vs Bearing Noise

Post by Rfmotors1 »

Hi autoairsteer,
I have tried this and my answer is YES, however you may need to have some saved .pddata files to help you with the identification. Ideally if you will have a car with really faulty wheel bearing, then you will have something to compare (against the same vehicle model). The bearing will have stable, locked frequency against the speed. With tyres it depends on the tyre type.
So, once you know the frequency and amplitude of wheel bearing, your will be able to call it good or bad.
If you will test always different vehicle, then it is more difficult but when you will measure two wheels at the same test drive, you will easily see which one is worse. (again, having own database of .pddata files will help you)
I have usually placed the accelerometers on the wheel hub to be most accurate, but this is time consuming. Here is the known frequency and amplitude for wheel or diff bearing/gear very helpful as you will get the result with accelerometer on the seat mount or shock absorber top mount area.
Hope it gives you some answer.
Regards,
Roman

autoairsteer

Post by autoairsteer »

Thanks for that, makes sense.

Rfmotors1
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Rfmotors1 »

I have attached link to one file from NVH practical training. This car had noisy rear diff and there was necessary to prove it as part of diagnostic process.
It is not exactly the tyre and wheel bearing noise question but it may also provide some direction and answers on Pico NVH capability.
There are speaker icons to click and play sound converted from accelerometers (excellent ability of NVH software) and also icons to download full ".pddata" files that were captured in real workshop environment at this practical training.
Link below:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/i8ywrrzrt41l0 ... .pptx?dl=0

Regards,
Roman