Ford Fiesta 1.4 TDCI 2007 (F6JA)

If you are not a PicoScope user and want advice with a diagnostic problem then post here. Forum members may be able to help.
Technician
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Ford Fiesta 1.4 TDCI 2007 (F6JA)

Post by Technician »

Car came in two weeks ago and boss looed at it said it was misfiring on cylinder 3. I used the scanner Apolo 8 read codes and live data and the information advised cylinder 3 injector circuit fault.
I was asked to fit a new injector into cylinder 3. Not checking the technical data first and thinking about the old school ideas I took it that cylinder 1 was the timing belt end, however later I found out that cylinder 1 is flywheel end.

When the car came in the engine was misfiring on cylinder 3. I then removed what I thought was cylinder 3 injector, which turned out to be cylinder 2. After fitting a new injector into cylinder 2, which I thought was cylinder 3, and then clearing the fault codes and none returning, the engine ran okay without misfires over the last couple of weeks.

Customer returned yesterday complaining that the engine was misfiring again. The boss looked at it and then told me that cylinder 3 injector was malfunctioning again? I looked at it, read codes and data and yes cylinder 3 misfiring again, however this time the engine EML warning lamp did not indicate a fault but the transmission warning lamp did, and the fault code for cylinder 3 was also recorded in the immobiliser function. So today based on my mistake of cylinder identity I changed the injectors round from cylinder 2 and 3, cleared the codes ran live data and road tested the car. On the road test the engine slightly misfired about three times but recorded no codes. I could be wrong, but I don't think the injector(s) are the cause of cylinder breakdown, I'm thinking possible ECM failing? Anyone more experienced with these engines?

Dcunning35
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: Ford Fiesta 1.4 TDCI 2007 (F6JA)

Post by Dcunning35 »

Carry out an insulation test across the piezo stacks on the injectors.
From High to low then both to body ground.
If attach the scope to the injectors with the airbox removed and manipulated the rubber coated harness on the top of the valve cover.

Technician
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: Ford Fiesta 1.4 TDCI 2007 (F6JA)

Post by Technician »

Thanks Danny, next time I have a misfiring engine injector relalated I do just that. That is provided I can remember cylinder 1 is at the flywheel end :mrgreen: