Compression in cooling system WPS500X

Ask for and share advice on using the PicoScope kit to fix Heavy Duty and Off Highway machinery here
TonyTschumper

Compression in cooling system WPS500X

Post by TonyTschumper »

Has anyone had any experience using the WPS500X pressure transducer to capture pressure spikes in a cooling system?

I just recently acquired the pressure transducer and have been playing around with it. One thing I would like to use it for is detecting pressure spikes in a cooling system and potentially identifying things like head gasket failure or air compressor failure. We commonly experience complaints of compression in the cooling system but without a loaded trailer we usually have a hard time duplicating the complaint. If anyone has played around with this or has any helpful videos or articles that would be great. I tried to attach a recording I did showing cam, crank and coolant pressure but it doesn't seem to be working.

ben.martins
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Re: Compression in cooling system WPS500X

Post by ben.martins »

Hi Tony,

There is quite a few people been trying this technique out. I've done it whilst still in the workshop for Toyota and Steve has post on the forum here - viewtopic.php?p=70211#p70211

Mario over at Super Mario Diagnostics also has a few videos one this where he is using a delta sensor instead of WPS500X but putting WPS500X on range 3 will give similar results. You may find that range 2 is needed if there is a significant pressure build up. https://youtu.be/ghNakT2wjeE

When it's obvious it's quite clear but there are a couple of things to bear in mind. The water pump can cause disturbances in the header tank which can show up as a 'pulse'. The more cylinders you have the closer this will match the pulses generated by the water pump blades. Just something to be aware off.

That being said it can have some real benefits especially when the cylinder heads are individual. Combining it with a cylinder ID such as injector or cam shaft can then give you some direction towards the faulty cylinder.

The air compressor is an interesting one and follows the same principles. Might be interesting to establish the ratio between crankshaft, or camshaft, and the compressor as should there be an issue there will be a distinct pulse which is reflected by the number of times the pump is on compression.

Shame your attachment didn't upload. I was having similar issues yesterday and have asked the web team to take a look at the issue. Hopefully this will be resolved so we can take a look at your capture.

Kind regards

Ben

TonyTschumper

Re: Compression in cooling system WPS500X

Post by TonyTschumper »

Thank you for the links. Once I've been able to capture some data I will be sure to share