Flex-Ray Testing

Ask for and share advice on using the PicoScope kit to fix vehicles here.
Cam Code
OneWave
OneWave

Flex-Ray Testing

Post by Cam Code »

Please can someone help explain this issue I'm having. I needed to test a Fkex-ray bus on a Audi A7, however before carrying out the test Pico 7 advises that normal test lead's aren't suitable and that a TS375 test probe is required. So I ordered one and in the meantime thought I'd check the bus with a standard lead to get a reading? To my surprise and using Pico 7 flex-ray presets I got an over range reading of 25v !! However what's troubling me is that if I check the bus using the Can-bus preset I get a more normal reading of 2.5 / 3v ? Can someone help explain this?

picowight
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: Flex-Ray Testing

Post by picowight »

The presets are expecting you to use 10x leads (that pass 1/10th of the voltage to the scope) so it is multiplying the voltage it sees by 10.
If you check in "probes"you will probably find it's set to a 10:1 Attenuator, if you change this to "no scaling" probe you will get the expected results

HTH

Cam Code
OneWave
OneWave

Post by Cam Code »

Thanks I did think that might be the case? noting that the TA375 had a X10 attenuator switch, but when I looked through the preset probe settings I couldn't find any difference between the 2 , although no doubt this is down to me learning the new 7 software.

Regards Paul

Steve Smith
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by Steve Smith »

Hello and thank you for the posts

Paul, I have just read through the FlexRay Guided Test and we do not mention the x10 attenuation setting; sorry, this should be within the text and we will amend accordingly

The Guided Tests are under constant development/improvement and thanks to your post we can improve further still

I will add a new feature request for the software team to triage ASAP

The keen-eyed may have seen the x10 indication in the channel lozenge of the Example Waveform but if you had spotted that as a new user to PS7 I would take my hat off in respect
Image 1
Image 1
I hope this helps, take care......Steve