Making a visual reference mark onto captured waveform via key board

Ask any questions about using PicoScope 6 Automotive software here.
tex

Making a visual reference mark onto captured waveform via key board

Post by tex »

hi all, love picoscope it a great product and always improving. :)
is there a way that you can press a keyboard key while taking a long time capture,
which will then put a visual mark on the captured waveform at that point,
or if your in short timebase and you have 200 or more captures it highlights the captures that you pressed the key on when you noticed the symptom occur.
ie if your on a test drive for example when you feel a symptom. press the enter key and the software will make a mark at that point in the waveform.
thus when you go back to review the captures it can guide you where to go to on the buffers to inspect further at detail to see?
would save a lot of time and make pico just that little bit more powerfull:)
any ideas or feed bak would be gratly appreciated

Steve Smith
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Re: Making a visual reference mark onto captured waveform via key board

Post by Steve Smith »

Hello Tex and thank you for the post and New Feature Request.

You are not alone requesting such a feature and I will add this to our “New Feature Request List” which is reviewed and prioritised by the software team.

Feedback such as yours helps to increase the “count” of those requesting this feature and will indicate to the software engineers the demand and value to users of our Scope

The Reference Marker you describe would be considered for PicoScope 7 (going forward) but we need parity between PS6 and PS7 as a priority before adding new features

Thank you sincerely for your feedback, it does make a difference.

Take care……Steve

VASTech
OneWave
OneWave

Post by VASTech »

Hello Steve, hello tex..
This is a very great feature, will help many of us, including me, witch i do many test drives with pico running :)
I`m not big fan of changes, but i do not oppose to progress aswell. I think many of us will still use PS6 for a while, PS7 is still in beta, but I`m sure will soon replace PS6. I hope you will add this feature to PS6 aswell. Looking forward to see a new release of PS6 with this feature added. Regards!

PicoKev
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by PicoKev »

Grumpy old bastard here! :evil:

I keep seeing variations on this request and like many “feature requests” personally I do not see the point! :roll:

Firstly it is easy to put a marker on a live scope capture without anything further added to the software

:idea: Rig up a lead from the 12V power outlet in the car (Fag lighter socket in “ye olde’ days”) via a “momentary on” switch to a spare channel and either press and hold for the duration of the glitch, so you have zero volts in good state and NBV for glitch state. Or alternatively use one press for the start and a double press for the end of the event.
Make the lead long enough so that you can hold it in your hand or leave it on your lap. :idea:

No 12v outlet! Just do the same but with a 9V battery.

Bloody sight easier and safer than messing around looking for some key or other on a laptop that is probably in the footwell by now! :)

And yes it takes up a scope channel but that is life. As the saying goes “If you don’t have enough channels they you should have bought an 4823!" :roll:

Or the low tech non hardware method.

Run a long time base with a suitable sample rate and after the occurrence just hit the spacebar to stop the scope, pull over, save the capture and zoom in using the epic power of Pico .

:mrgreen: Safety elf Alert! :mrgreen:
In the UK it is illegal to operate any device whilst driving. Rendering you liable for a fine and penalty points on your driving licence. Aimed at mobile phone usage but equally applies to the use of scopes and scanners etc.
So any road test should only be carried out with a passenger pressing the buttons (ie. "Operating" the device.)

Kev.

tex

Post by tex »

Thanks Steve for the reply, thats great news,
Thanks kev for the ideas and input too:)