Audi S2, secondary ignition waveform

Ask for and share advice on using the PicoScope kit to fix vehicles here.
thoker

Audi S2, secondary ignition waveform

Post by thoker »

Hello everybody,

my name is Tom, I am from Germany and am trying to have fun with my 1991 Audi S2 Coupé with 5 cylinder turbo engine, 311 HP.
The car has rough idle and sometimes looses power at 3.300 rpm and WOT.
I checked secondary igition waveform, with the Pico 4425, with the following result:
The waveform of cylinder 3 looks like perfect, but the patterns of cylinder 1, 2, 4 and 5 are quite noisy (e. g. around second 500 measuring time, in the attached waveform).

Does anybody know, what causes the differences in the ignition waveforms?

Thanks a lot!

Tom
Attachments
Zündaussetzer_Gang3_2.psdata
(15.78 MiB) Downloaded 322 times
Secondary_ignition.jpg

Dejan
OneWave
OneWave

Re: Audi S2, secondary ignition waveform

Post by Dejan »

Hy,
in my opinion,3.cyl. could have a problem because it has so clean "sparkline voltage" in ignition waveform.Noise on other cylinders could be from spark taking place between electrodes of spark plug inside cylinder under load and turbulence.Keep in mind engine RPM also.In these circumstances,noise could be normal and a good sign,but so clean sparkline on 3.cyl. could be anomaly.Spark that taking place outside cylinder could cause that clean waveform.

I noticed also that anomaly is present under load only and that the "plug kV" is lower on suspected 3.cyl.

I think that you should pay attention on that cylinder and take another tests.There is a lot of ways to do that.Visual inspection of distributor,plug lead and spark plug.Put a spark tester on distributor and or plug lead,swap plug leads if that's possible and or swap spark plugs,spray water mist over plug leads and distributor (but be careful with that) etc...

Best regards Dejan