Compression K9K-702 1.5DCI

Ask for and share advice on using the PicoScope kit to fix vehicles here.
Post Reply
User avatar
Tronic
TwoWaves
TwoWaves
Posts: 88
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:43 pm
Location: Sweden

Compression K9K-702 1.5DCI

Post by Tronic » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:46 am

Hi!

Back after a long period of illness and finally, at least with 50% strength, back att work. We have a 2004 Renault Kangoo with a K9K-702 engine and a non start condition. A relative compression test revealed the following mixed compote: 19, 18, 15 and 20 Bar. My question: what are the compression specifications for this particular engine?

Thanks in advance!

Technician
TwoWaves
TwoWaves
Posts: 368
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:32 pm

Re: Compression K9K-702 1.5DCI

Post by Technician » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:16 pm

Hi Tronic,

The technical data I have advises a compression ratio of 18.3.1, this equates to approx 18 bar.

User avatar
Tronic
TwoWaves
TwoWaves
Posts: 88
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:43 pm
Location: Sweden

Re: Compression K9K-702 1.5DCI

Post by Tronic » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:20 pm

Hi Technician and thanks for reply!

Now I will continue, compression test was just a start. This car have a more or less unknown background, so not much help from there.

Thanks again Technician! :D

volrem
TwoWaves
TwoWaves
Posts: 231
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:43 pm
Location: Estonia

Re: Compression K9K-702 1.5DCI

Post by volrem » Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:49 pm

Technician wrote:Hi Tronic,

The technical data I have advises a compression ratio of 18.3.1, this equates to approx 18 bar.
I disagree. Compression pressure should be higher than compression ratio.

It also depends of additional volume measuring tool has.

With WPS I usually measure measure 22-23 bar (18:1 engine) and with compensation it's 27-29 bar.

post64371.html#p64371

Technician
TwoWaves
TwoWaves
Posts: 368
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:32 pm

Re: Compression K9K-702 1.5DCI

Post by Technician » Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:56 pm

volrem wrote:
Technician wrote:Hi Tronic,

The technical data I have advises a compression ratio of 18.3.1, this equates to approx 18 bar.
I disagree. Compression pressure should be higher than compression ratio.

It also depends of additional volume measuring tool has.

With WPS I usually measure measure 22-23 bar (18:1 engine) and with compensation it's 27-29 bar.

post64371.html#p64371
The compression ratio I thought was the minimum acceptable and not the maximum, so yes I agree it should or would be higher when tested dynamically, especially with a warm engine, but as a guide it should be reliable.

Technician
TwoWaves
TwoWaves
Posts: 368
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:32 pm

Re: Compression K9K-702 1.5DCI

Post by Technician » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:21 pm

Technician wrote:
volrem wrote:
Technician wrote:Hi Tronic,

The technical data I have advises a compression ratio of 18.3.1, this equates to approx 18 bar.
I disagree. Compression pressure should be higher than compression ratio.

It also depends of additional volume measuring tool has.

With WPS I usually measure measure 22-23 bar (18:1 engine) and with compensation it's 27-29 bar.

post64371.html#p64371
The compression ratio I thought was the minimum acceptable and not the maximum, so yes I agree it should or would be higher when tested dynamically, especially with a warm engine, but as a guide it should be reliable.
I just located a formula which includes specific heat ratio, therefore;

pTDC = 1 bar x 10.3^1.4 = 26.2

The end result I suspect would very much depends on manufacturer cam and valve timing specifications, volumetric efficiency, and what they have calculated as their specific heat ratio.

User avatar
Mark Dalton
TwoWaves
TwoWaves
Posts: 86
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:35 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: Compression K9K-702 1.5DCI

Post by Mark Dalton » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:34 pm

I just located a formula which includes specific heat ratio, therefore;

pTDC = 1 bar x 10.3^1.4 = 26.2
That looks like a formula from a wikipedia page "https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compression_ratio" where the 10.3 is the compression ratio, so I think your specific formula should be (1 bar * (18.3^1.4)).

Technician
TwoWaves
TwoWaves
Posts: 368
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:32 pm

Re: Compression K9K-702 1.5DCI

Post by Technician » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:51 pm

I just located a formula which includes specific heat ratio, therefore;

pTDC = 1 bar x 10.3^1.4 = 26.2
That looks like a formula from a wikipedia page "https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compression_ratio" where the 10.3 is the compression ratio, so I think your specific formula should be (1 bar * (18.3^1.4)).
Sorry typo error on my behalf

Post Reply