add blue touth

Please post any comments related to the use of the forum here
Jorgeameller

add blue touth

Post by Jorgeameller »

I think if we can use the scope with out the wire that goes from the computer to the scope, we can then use a table and able to move around.
Just a suggestion.

Steve Smith
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Re: add blue touth

Post by Steve Smith »

Hello and thank you for the post and your suggestion regarding Bluetooth connectivity of the scope

I have to say, after using numerous scan tools via Bluetooth connection I can see the benefits of one less lead to worry about (Especially USB leads that tie the PC/Laptop to a near fixed location)

With the current architecture of Automotive Pico Scopes, both power and data are transferred over the USB cable which presents additional challenges to the engineers if we were to modify existing auto scopes

Such a device (Bluetooth scope) would most certainly require development from the ground up and of course be driven by demand.

The concerns I have with Bluetooth are the additional variables that could be introduced such as reception (given the automotive environment) connectivity (with numerous Bluetooth interfaces/PC’s) and quality of data that must be “floorless” in transfer over a Bluetooth link

I will most certainly create a New Feature Request and as ever, thank you for your suggestion as everything raised is considered

Take care……Steve

liviu2004
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by liviu2004 »

Why bother with bluetooth, wifi point to point is even better. I have oem diag tools to flash ECUs and no problems whatsoever.

Technician
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Technician »

I have a snap on scan tool that uses wireless technology to transmit data, and I'd also not bother its tripped me up with sampling rates or data transfer not being fast enough and led me to think I had problems when indeed there were none. All this wireless technology is not as reliable as they'd have you believe. In our Test Station at the moment we are having no end of problems with wireless tech, my advice, keep the cable connection.

Sharpy
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Sharpy »

Something that could be worth having instead of a Bluetooth scope you could run an app like remote ripple where the laptop can be connected to the scope via usb and then have a tablet that mirrors the laptop via the remote ripple and you can control the laptop from the tablet also, I currently use this on our brake tester and I'm able to control the brake tester from inside a lorry with a 40 foot trailer on so the range is good I believe it uses WiFi in our case which generally has a better range.

Iver
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Iver »

where the laptop can be connected to the scope via usb and then have a tablet that mirrors the laptop via the remote ripple and you can control the laptop from the tablet
Wireless or bluetooth keyboard will do that.

Sharpy
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Sharpy »

Iver wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:26 am
where the laptop can be connected to the scope via usb and then have a tablet that mirrors the laptop via the remote ripple and you can control the laptop from the tablet
Wireless or bluetooth keyboard will do that.
yes if you can see the screen