Volvo C 30 D (Ford 2.0 engine)

If you are not a PicoScope user and want advice with a diagnostic problem then post here. Forum members may be able to help.
Cam Code
OneWave
OneWave

Volvo C 30 D (Ford 2.0 engine)

Post by Cam Code »

Hi everyone I'm a regular auto-spark really and I'm still/always learning engine diagnostics. Recently I've been working on a Volvo C 30 D that came to me with various electrical issues which have all been sorted bar one.
I keep randomly getting a P0089 fuel pressure code which I can't get rid of. Now as I understand it this is a generic code which relates to fuel pressure control. I have thoroughly checked all the wiring and plugs to the Fuel pressure control solenoid and the Fuel quantity control solenoid and the vehicle has already had a new Fuel pressure control solenoid fitted to it but this code continues to return. I scoped the fuel pressure sensor this morning and I'm suspicious of my waveform, Also every now and then just a few tiny Air bubbles can be seen in the clear fuel line between the fuel filter and IMV and its my opinion that this is causing this random code but the dealership that this car came from, Their mechanic doesn't agree. Can someone look at my waveform and tell me if the up & down peaks could be caused by cavitation ? or the air ingress. Also please take note of the low sample rate settings so I shouldn't be seeing the usual pump rotation peaks. Sorry just realised I've posted in the wrong place can admin move for me please
Attachments
Volvo_C30_2009_Diesel_20191104-0001 Fuel Pressure sensor.psdata
(621.32 KiB) Downloaded 414 times
Volvo_C30_2009_Diesel_20191104-0001 fuel press 2.psdata
(45.96 KiB) Downloaded 406 times

seafordmotors
OneWave
OneWave

Re: Volvo C 30 D (Ford 2.0 engine)

Post by seafordmotors »

Hi Cam Code
You are quite correct that this is a generic fault code.It is set if the system can not maintain a required fuel pressure within its control mapping. The reasons and trigger points to set this code vary by manufacturers and systems. They can include faulty internal injector seals, Low pressure system and high pressure system faults. Of course faulty pumps and electrical faults etc. To check the high pressure pump with a scope connect the scope to the pressure sensor signal and ground then set the scope to AC coupling the voltage scale to 50mv and the time scale to 20 ms. This should show up the " Ripple Voltage " of the pumping elements. They should not be higher then about 40mv and should be uniform in groups equal to the of number pump elements.
The wave form you posted shows the injector pulses
I also do not know which system your engine has since according my information this engine comes with different fuel systems.

Cam Code
OneWave
OneWave

Post by Cam Code »

Seaford thank you so much for your input and I now understand what my waveform was showing me. Its a Siemens fuel system that's fitted to this engine and the fault in question can be very intermittent, sometimes it presents itself almost permanently and other times it might take 2 or 3 days to return. I have also uploaded another waveform of the fuel pressure sensor that I took using pico's guided automotive settings which I think looks ok ?

Regards Paul
Attachments
Volvo_C30_2009_Diesel_20191104-0001 Fuel Pressure sensor.psdata
(621.32 KiB) Downloaded 427 times

Dcunning35
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Dcunning35 »

Hi cam code , can I ask what the actual symptom is and under what conditions it occurs ( full load) etc .
After the DTC is logged will it restart straight away? .
My first check would be to check the low pressure fuel system for drawing air a vacuum test is best,then check for flow too.
Danny

picowight
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by picowight »

Does it by any chance have a new Bosch fuel filter in it?
If so tighten the water drain plug on the bottom. I had an issue with this recently same engine I think -transfer pump only, no in-tank pump. The bottom seal on the filter acted like a one way valve admitting air under vacuum.

Cam Code
OneWave
OneWave

Post by Cam Code »

A new filter was fitted to the car after my investigation as there was a small amount of air ingress and as far as I know the problem hasn't returned.
Thanks again or all the input