NVH on a motorcycle?

Ask questions relating specifically to the PicoDiagnostics NVH equipment and software here.
AndyM535
OneWave
OneWave

NVH on a motorcycle?

Post by AndyM535 »

I've got an annoying vibration on a BMW K1300S motorcycle. Has anyone ever tried using the NHV kit on a bike? Is that a daft idea?

Technician
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: NVH on a motorcycle?

Post by Technician »

No Andy definitely not a daft idea. The NVH kit can be used on anything that vibrates or makes a noise/sound, however a good understanding of the subject is necessary to ensure correct diagnosis.

ben.martins
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by ben.martins »

Hello Andy,

It's not something we have tried but it should be perfectly possible. I guess the only issue is where you put all the kit whilst on a road test?!

In all seriousness though, if you can replicate the vibration whilst stationary and it is engine related then it will be quite easy to capture the vibration. If it's whilst out on the road then we really need to think about how to keep the recording going whilst putting all the hardware into a rucksack. If the bike has a crank sensor then we can obtain RPM from this using Channel D, or if it's wheel speed related and we know how many poles on the ABS sensor then we could use this as an input.

It is possible but may need a little thought into the setup. More than happy to help and work it through with you though if you need any assistance.

Kind regards

Ben

AndyM535
OneWave
OneWave

Post by AndyM535 »

Thanks for the encouragement! Seems like it's at least worth a try, so I'll order the NHV starter kit.

Being a BMW it has plenty of luggage space that I can put the laptop, Picoscope, etc. in. Finding something flat, steel and horizontal to stick the magnetic accelerometer too might be a problem; the bike is mostly made of curvy plastic and aluminium. It does have a diagnostic connector and uses CAN bus, but has a round 10-pin BMW specific connector. I have an interface that works with it and can get real time data like engine and wheel speeds, but not sure if that could be used with the Pico software. It's a hex code GS-911WiFi if that means anything to anyone.

I'll order the NHV kit now and post an update when it arrives and I get a chance to play with it.

victor2k
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by victor2k »

AndyM535 wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:29 am
Thanks for the encouragement! Seems like it's at least worth a try, so I'll order the NHV starter kit.

Being a BMW it has plenty of luggage space that I can put the laptop, Picoscope, etc. in. Finding something flat, steel and horizontal to stick the magnetic accelerometer too might be a problem; the bike is mostly made of curvy plastic and aluminium. It does have a diagnostic connector and uses CAN bus, but has a round 10-pin BMW specific connector. I have an interface that works with it and can get real time data like engine and wheel speeds, but not sure if that could be used with the Pico software. It's a hex code GS-911WiFi if that means anything to anyone.

I'll order the NHV kit now and post an update when it arrives and I get a chance to play with it.
Hello,
I think yours GS-911 isn' t a passthru interface(j2534),so you can't use it with Pico NVH ...maybe some ELM based interface with adapter to yours round 10-pins will help you to read VIN,engine and wheel speed.With an insulating tape you can fix the accelerometer support(magnetic or not) on any surface. :)
Best regards

AndyM535
OneWave
OneWave

Post by AndyM535 »

The NVH kit has arrived. All I need now is the license key (email sent to support) and a dry day.

Technician
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Technician »

AndyM535 wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:58 pm
The NVH kit has arrived. All I need now is the license key (email sent to support) and a dry day.
Everything 100% possible above except a dry day :mrgreen:

AndyM535
OneWave
OneWave

Post by AndyM535 »

Quick update... NVH Kit works and I've sorted out connecting the accelerometer to the bike and installing laptop, PicoScope and NVH interface. ODB is, as expected, proving to be a problem. GS-911 can get real time data, but Pico Diagnostics doesn't see it as an interface. I've got a 10pin BMW to 16Pin adaptor cable and my handheld car scanner can connect to it and get the engine and vehicle speed from it. So, it seems likely that I just need a USB cable and drivers that Pico Diagnostics will recognise. Unless anyone can recommend a ELM327 that is known to work I guess it's a call to Pico to order a Mongoose Pro. The Mongoose doesn't seem to be listed as a separate item on the Pico site and there don't seem to be any other UK stockists. Based on the US price, are they about £275 here (UK)?

victor2k
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by victor2k »

Hello,
You will need this adapter
https://www.amazon.com/ScanTool-425801-OBDLink-USB-Diagnostic/dp/B005ZWM0R4
(this is a good ELM interface what cover ISO 15765-4 (CAN 250/500 kbps, 11/29 bit),ISO 14230-4 (Keyword Protocol 2000),ISO 9141-2 (Asian, European, Chrysler),J1850 VPW (GM),J1850 PWM (Ford)) -the coverage for the future use of NVH kit is a good one.
Here is the info what I found on other site,this was not tested by me:

"All the BMW Bike models up to 2011 except K1600 use OBDII for comms to the machine via the 10 pin BMW connector. It is ISO KWP2000 protocol. K1600 has direct access to CAN Bus on the diags socket. Reading faults is straight industry standard fault command and address. BMW has built on top of the protocol

You can grab pdf's for info on the diags here http://www.f650gs.crossroadz.com.au/Diagnostics.html"
Anyway,you must try ELM or Mongoose and tell us what is good :(
Best regards

AndyM535
OneWave
OneWave

Post by AndyM535 »

Thanks to the recommendation from Victor and Amazon same day delivery I now have an ELM327 cable that works, at least in my car (Merc E220). When I connect it to the bike PicoDiagnostics sees the interface as an ELM 1.3 but it fails to connect. Annoyingly the OBDWiz application that came with the lead will connect to the bike and can show the RPM and road speed on its virtual dash.

I did mange to get a trace file showing the AT commands being sent to the interface. The AT Z gets a response, then it sends some other commands which gets the interface into a mess. I'll try using PuTTY to send these interactively to the interface. Only problem there is that I managed to overwrite the trace file by running PicoDiagnostics again a few times before saving the old trace file. Maybe selecting just ELM327 as the interface type will get it going.

I was reading elsewhere on the Pico site a case study on the Triumph 1200 twin with a 270 degree crank. I happen to have a 1600 Triumph twin that also has a 270 degree crank and a normal 16 ping OBDII connector, so I might give that a try with NVH too. Though a bit of vibration is kind of expected with that...