2 x 4 Software.

Ask any questions about using PicoScope 6 Automotive software here.
Liteace
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

2 x 4 Software.

Post by Liteace »

When are you guys going to write software so that can link scopes together, like the new 8 channel software but use both usb's to link:

2 and a 2
2 and a 4
4 and a 4

So we can have 2, 4, 6 and 8 channels when needed

Thanks

liviu2004
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: 2 x 4 Software.

Post by liviu2004 »

Like never? That would mean shoot themselves in the foot, with the new 8 channel scope.

Autonerdz
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Autonerdz »

If that was technically possible, it would be ideal for everyone.

Everyone that has a four channel would likely buy another as two could be used separately on different vehicles or combined in the less common circumstance when you really need 8 channels. So much more versatile.

Pico would sell a LOT more scopes.

The 8 channel scope is very capable, even able to out perform the 4425 a bit, but the market is much more limited.

You can already use two four channel simultaneously in separate instances of PicoScope. We did a class on this. You can get them close but under no circumstances are they exactly synchronous.

Liteace
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Liteace »

Autonerdz wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:49 pm
If that was technically possible, it would be ideal for everyone.

Everyone that has a four channel would likely buy another as two could be used separately on different vehicles or combined in the less common circumstance when you really need 8 channels. So much more versatile.

Pico would sell a LOT more scopes.

The 8 channel scope is very capable, even able to out perform the 4425 a bit, but the market is much more limited.

You can already use two four channel simultaneously in separate instances of PicoScope. We did a class on this. You can get them close but under no circumstances are they exactly synchronous.

I would certainly buy another 2 or 4 channel, problem is I haven't got a bottomless pit of money where I can just pop out spend another shed load on an 8 channel,
the equipment needed now in the automotive world is a joke

Iver
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Iver »

Is it really that Pico haven't got this right?
Or is it the case that over time cars are getting more complex so we need more channels ?

I have a VW Golf with a battery drain here right now.
I want 50 plus channels with amp clamps to monitor each and every fuse. If it takes an hour to set up that is fine. I can then walk away from that car for 24 hours if I wish knowing that i fix is coming.

Liteace
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Liteace »

Iver wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:27 am

Is it really that Pico haven't got this right?
Or is it the case that over time cars are getting more complex so we need more channels ?

I have a VW Golf with a battery drain here right now.
I want 50 plus channels with amp clamps to monitor each and every fuse. If it takes an hour to set up that is fine. I can then walk away from that car for 24 hours if I wish knowing that i fix is coming.
That's a bit extreme for battery drain, there is an easier way of testing

Yes things are evolving and fast, I also worked on quadcam Audi last week, it's my 3rd one but these are old vehicles, I think about 2007, 12 years old, 12 years ago no sign of 8 channel scope so it's taken a bit tine to catch up !!!!!!!

victor2k
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by victor2k »

Iver wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:27 am

I want 50 plus channels with amp clamps to monitor each and every fuse.
And what amp clamps will be good enough for you and your scope?AEMC maybe,every clamp with manual zero setting for a faster setup:lol:
If in the gaming world twin and multiple monitors can be used why we can't ask Pico about this?Maybe to use our 4xxx with a 5xxx scope like a second scope:D

ben.martins
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by ben.martins »

Hello all,

Thank you for all adding comments here and please believe me when I say that it is a request that is on the list. However, there are a number of complications surrounding this type of link between scopes that would need some considerable hardware and software developments.

There are some ways around joining two scopes together though and at best I've had a seven channels from two 4 channel scopes. As it's already been mentioned you can open multiple instance of PicoScope which if you have two screens makes things a little easier. If you were to use the same input on channel A for both scopes you can set a trigger to ensure that the scopes start at the same time. It is best to use this whilst in streaming mode as both scope will be running and only begin to capture when they see the trigger being met. If you can do it all on one screen with lots of time and a large number of samples, then it can be very effective.

Please do keep the feedback coming though as it helps us to better understand what it is our users would like to see from Pico. We do ensure that any new feature requests are added to the system for consideration and if there is significant demand then this is given more attention than others.

I know this isn't quite the answer we are hoping for but hopefully there is some solution there.

Kind regards

Ben