New Pc To run my PicoScope

Ask any questions about using PicoScope 6 Automotive software here.
hexibot43
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

New Pc To run my PicoScope

Post by hexibot43 »

I've been Looking at moving away from my current IBM Thinkpad T43 laptop. I've always been hiding my scope away when I wasn't using it. I want to set it up to be ready to run at any moment. I'm going to set up a rolling cart for it. I have been reading about people using touch screens with there PicoScope. Are we ready for that?
I would like to set this computer up as best I can thinking forward. I would love to just have touchscreen on top, and yes have a blue-tooth keyboard as mouse when needed. But with the intention of never using them.
I was thinking like 24-23" touchscreen. Suggestions. I was thinking to built the pc into the cart instead of a laptop. Make it so that it isn't easy to walk away with it. What else do I need to run Picoscope? And do I need to be off the mains? Which would make the laptop be a consideration again. Or if mains are ok any consideration of power conditioning?

Steve Smith
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Re: New Pc To run my PicoScope

Post by Steve Smith »

Hello and thank you for the post

I do like the idea of a fixed diagnostic station built into a cart but "needs must" when road tests are required to place the vehicle under load.

I am not the biggest fan of touch screens if I am to be honest but most certainly PicoScope is ready for touch screens (said too much already)
Touch screens do come into their own when scrolling through technical information or wiring diagrams which is awesome

If possible could you secure the laptop into the cart to prevent someone walking away with it?

Most certainly I would go with a "Rugged" laptop option, (with touch screen if possible)

We are using Dell with dual extended battery life options enabling hot swapping of batteries whilst carrying out prolonged road testing.

A dedicated laptop docking station is a bonus too as this ensures your laptop is always charged and USB ports are used on the docking station rather than wearing the laptop ports.

Multiple USB 3.0 ports should be considered, and a quality mains 3 pin charger to ensure sufficient grounding whilst charging takes place.

HDMI connectivity makes for a valid monitor extension for that all important second screen.

USB is likely to utilise a printer, Scan tool and scope simultaneously so USB performance should be a top consideration. In the office our USB load is taken via a Startech USB3SDOCKHD universal laptop docking station which provides additional USB's and dual monitor options (Giving you 3 screens)

This sounds like overkill but when you can have your scope on screen 1, scan tool on screen 2 and technical information/specification on screen 3 then why not?

Recommended operating system would be Windows 10 but 7 and 8 are fine too

I hope this helps, take care......Steve

hexibot43
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: New Pc To run my PicoScope

Post by hexibot43 »

Thank you Steve for your input. It is most helpful. I just hooked up an IMac wasting away at home. Very nice screen @ 27", but I lost all the built in guided tests. Or at least I think I have. I'm guessing the linux version is the same. So, it will be back to a Windows based laptop. Everything you've said pertains to that. So Thank You again. I am thinking my second screen for the cart will be a touch screen. If it works well great, and if it doesn't I'm just going to have a rugged laptop.

Sincerely,

Marcello