NVH Kit, OBD not connecting

Ask questions relating specifically to the PicoDiagnostics NVH equipment and software here.
adamf085

NVH Kit, OBD not connecting

Post by adamf085 »

Hello everyone,

First post and new to Pico here

My kit is the Pico NVH diagnostics advanced essentials kit. My question may be very simple, or much more complicated, but I need to get this working so hopefully someone can chime in for advice.

My software is downloaded and working, my scope is connected and working, I'm running PicoDiagnositcs, but when I plug in my Mongoose VI Cable to my 2010 Fusion OBD port and click start new test, it won't connect and give me my vehicle information. It will then tell me that my firewall may be blocking the app from working correctly. I have tried turning everything on and off, I have tried turning the firewall on and off. I am not sure how to proceed from here. Anything I may have missed? Anyone here have similar issues with OBD not connecting to your vehicle?

Thanks for any and all input!

Best regards,
Adam

Steve Smith
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Re: NVH Kit, OBD not connecting

Post by Steve Smith »

Hello Adam thank you for the post.

Regarding your Mongoose Cable, could you confirm this device is a J2534 pass through device with the relevant driver installed?

Could you confirm the Mongoose VI can communicate with the vehicle, either by the relevant VM software or J2534 Toolbox from Drewtech?

Could you confirm you are not connected to the vehicle via the VM software when trying to connect via NVH?

Whilst the NVH software is trying to connect to the vehicle, does the name of your Mongoose lead appear within the NVH software (E.g. “Mongoose VI is trying to connect”)

Sorry for all the questions but this will help move things along ASAP

Next we have the Trace file option:
Connect your Mongoose to the vehicle and try to obtain engine and road speed.
Wait for the Firewall message to appear then close the software.
This will write a trace file to the PicoScope App data folder.
Locating the trace.xml file
Trace.xml files can be located in the following directories:
Windows Vista/7/8: C:\Users\\AppData\Local\Pico Technology\Pico Diagnostics
With the Pico Diagnostics folder open, you will find a larger folder identified by a long alpha numeric title (E.g. a6f37be2-ef55-40fe-914d-ddbe5251)
Open the alpha numeric folder and locate the “trace xml” file for the last NVH connection attempt. (Identified by the date and time alongside)

Could you then send this folder over to support@picotech.com as this will contain information about your PC etc. which you may not wish to share on a public forum?

Rest assured the fix will be shared for others to view

I hope this helps in the interim, take care…..Steve

adamf085

Post by adamf085 »

Hey Steve,

Thank you for the quick reply.

I called the Pico tech number and got it working. I did not have the Mongoose / Drew Technologies software downloaded. Easy fix!

Only problem now is interpreting the data it is giving me, as I have no prior experience with PicoScopes.

Anywhere to look for training?

Best regards,
Adam

Steve Smith
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by Steve Smith »

Hello Adam thank you for the feedback.

As Ben has mentioned in his reply to your support desk request, we have Episode 1 of our 7 episode NVH feature here:

There is also a brief overview video here

Our fourm has an area dedicated to NVH here

Along with a number of NVH topics that have been singled out here

I hope this helps and please feedback when you can for any clarification on the above topics, take care......Steve