8-Channel Oscilloscope for Automotive?

Ask any questions relating to the PicoScope hardware or kit contents here.
If you have any questions prior to purchasing the kit post them here.
Iver
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: 8-Channel Oscilloscope for Automotive?

Post by Iver »

I am pretty keen to have this. Possibly sell my 3000 (which is only 50v inputs and no floating Earths) and put the money towards this.

I believe I have the latest software. I wanted to play with it (all 8 channels & waveform generator) in Demo mode. Is that possible

I think the Waveform Generator will be a good tool.

Also the guys at Pico, Steve.S, Ben M .... would you have an 8 channel files that could be posted, emailed or in the library.

Once I have played I think the money may fall out of my pocket a tad easier.

ben.martins
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by ben.martins »

Hello Iver,

The latest software is always readily available from Downloads.

To view what changes are in the version of software please take look at the installation notes. They will give you the information you may need with regards to 8 Channel software.

Demo mode will stay as it is for the time being with just the 4 channels but the waveform library is accepting 8 channel captures. I believe Steve has uploaded the ones from his latest case study but we have to be mindful of the file size. 8 Channels with lots of samples starts to get close to upload limit of the library!

Others will be uploaded of course in the future as people start to using it.

I hope this helps and thanks for all the support, from everyone. We can only continue to improve PicoScope with input from the people using it. We like feedback, positive or not, as it helps us to be the best we can possible be.

Kind regards

Ben

Iver
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Iver »

Thank You Ben

I do have the latest software but could not get the Demo to run 8 Channels - You clarified that.

Good to know there are 8 channel waveforms in the Library. Am I right in thinking that I could download one and display it on latest release I have on my PC ? Just for tinkering / educational / Self Pleasuring purposes.

One more observation Ben.
We like feedback,
we have to be mindful of the file size. 8 Channels with lots of samples starts to get close to upload limit of the library!

Not meaning to be mean or stating the obvious but you have "Doubled" the Capture Size (4 to 8 Channels) so might be time to "double" the Library upload limit.

Thanks again Ben

PS. I quite often work on Bentleys, Ferrarri's, Mercedes,Lamborghinis, Astons, BMW's with 12 Cylinder Engines.

You quite likely know that since 1997 Mercedes issued dealers with a 12 Channel HMS900 ??? It may call it itself a scope but it is not a Pico.

There is a need for a 12 Channel PICO Scope. It is the logical next step to add more VM's to the already impressive list that Pico have.

Once Again,

thanks.

Technician
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Technician »

There you go, no need to built a 12 channel scope, Pico have this;

https://www.picoauto.com/products/ignition-accessories/mixmaster-12-channel-automotive-signal-mixer

8)

Iver
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Iver »

Technician wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:54 pm
There you go, no need to built a 12 channel scope, Pico have this;

https://www.picoauto.com/products/ignition-accessories/mixmaster-12-channel-automotive-signal-mixer

8)
Wrong. There we don't go.

You may think you can add 12 more channels but the mixmaster needs at least 2, ideally 3 to connect to the scope.

Anyway it wouldn't work. The technical specs of this thing show that. Not worth further comment.

Technician
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Technician »

I'd be interested in your views about the mixmaster positive or negative as I was thinking of buying one to add to my Pico collection. Also if the product has short falls in whatever ways I'd think Pico would like to here about them so they can have the opportunity to comment or redress any issues they might not know about.

Technician
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Technician »

Technician wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:47 pm
I'd be interested in your views about the mixmaster positive or negative as I was thinking of buying one to add to my Pico collection. Also if the product has short falls in whatever ways I'd think Pico would like to here about them so they can have the opportunity to comment or redress any issues they might not know about.
I've just looked at the mixmaster and it has three channels for connection and 12 channels for cylinders. It's all theory at the moment as I don't have one, however to save the problems I've just bought it so next week will start to use it and see just how good/bad it is and then I can report back here.

Steve Smith
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by Steve Smith »

Thank you for the feedback and continued interest in the use of multiple channels.

Here is an 8 channel waveform that captures the moment this engine switches from port to direct injection at approx. 8.8 seconds

Port to Direct.psdata
Port to Direct- 8 Channels Quad Cam
(9.97 MiB) Downloaded 221 times

At present you can view, measure, zoom and hide all 8 channels when viewed with either a 2 / 4 channel scope connected or demo mode active.

Unfortunately the channel options for channels E, F, G & H are not active and so filtering, math and channel labels are not available for these additional channels.

Rest assured this has been documented and will be resolved.

Thank you also to Autonerdz for the correction to the maximum sampling rates of the 4823 with 8 channels active. I have amended the post where I incorrectly mentioned that the sample rate was 1MS/s with 8 active channels.

With 8 channels active the maximum sample rate is 40 MS/s in block mode (with the time base set faster than the default 200 ms/div)

With 8 channels active the maximum sample rate is 1.25 MS/s in streaming mode (with the time base set slower than the default 200 ms/div)

I hope this helps, take care.......Steve

Iver
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Iver »

Hi Steve.

Thank You for Posting that Waveform. Playing with it does endorse the need for more than 4 Channels.

First one thinks about the tangle of wires but then this would encourage testing Signals at the ECU directly.

Also Ideal for looking at Actuators & Sensors with 5 or more wires - APP, Throttle Bodies, Turbo Actuators, EGR, MAF. The Whole Picture in 3D
Unfortunately the channel options for channels E, F, G & H are not active and so filtering, math and channel labels are not available for these additional channels.
Rest assured this has been documented and will be resolved.
I did note that when I Right Clicked to Hide Channels that they are labelled A B C D 5 6 7 8 not A B C D E F G H as the 4823 itself is labelled. Now that wont hinder the scope working as it should but i'm sure someone will have something to say ?

BTW, What Vehicle is that from?

thanks

Steve Smith
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by Steve Smith »

Thank you for the feedback re hiding channels, I will add this to the bug report.

The good news, with an 8 channel scope connected it does refer to all channels by letter.

The vehicle used for the 8 channel capture above was a Lexus RX450 H used as a donor comparison vehicle vehicle for the Imported Camry featured in this months case study (Engine code 2GR-FE)

I hope this helps, take care......Steve