2014 VW Crafter Cutting out on hot re-start p0016

Ask for and share advice on using the PicoScope kit to fix vehicles here.
langleygarage

2014 VW Crafter Cutting out on hot re-start p0016

Post by langleygarage »

Hello!

I'm having trouble with a 2014 2.0 cr tdi Crafter engine code CKUB

It starts perfect when cold but has an intermittent hot re-start problem. When up to temp it will start up, run for 1 second and then cut out. Next turn of the key it might do the same or it might start normally.

It stores a DTC: 4096 CMP sensor G40 / Engine Speed sensor G28 incorrect correlation P0016

The Cam and Crankshaft sensors have been replaced (by another garage) with genuine VW items, mechanical timing has been checked twice and found to be okay.

I have scoped the Cam / Crank signals but when compared to another known good it appears to be a few degrees different. Possible crankshaft impulse trigger wheel / worn key way on crankshaft pulley?

The signal I've captured is roughly 5 degrees different at the point of cutting out compared with starting / running normally. Would that be considered excessive?

Questing is how much tolerance is there in the cam / crank correlation before the DTC is stored and should there be any variation (few degrees one way or the other) in the signal?

Just looking for a second opinion on this one as the trigger wheel is part of the rear main oil seal and I don't fancy taking the gearbox out if I don't have to.

Cheers
Attachments
Crafter good timing.png
Crafter bad timing.png

Technician
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: 2014 VW Crafter Cutting out on hot re-start p0016

Post by Technician »

I have an idea which might help, back in the old days of using timing lights when the timing chain/gears were worn the timing marks used to shake when the timing light was used, and then we used to raise the engine speed to around 2000 rpm and that used to show the timing mark as being steady. At that point we knew the chain/gears were worn. Also static checking of the timing may not show up the fault as you point out in your scope trace, hence the variations being observed. The 5 degrees is roughly one tooth and I think that is sufficient to set the code P0016.

protech

Post by protech »

Hi there

did you get to the bottom of the hot start problem as I have one exactly the same that we are struggling with at the moment.

Thank you

Iver
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Iver »

protech wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:00 pm

did you get to the bottom of the hot start problem as I have one exactly the same that we are struggling with at the moment.
I had a Crafter recently that would not start when hot, however I had a different set of fault codes
and I did solve it.
Do you have the same codes or are you able to list the codes that you have from ALL the modules in that Van. Also would you confirm that all the modules are "online" when it is not starting.

thanks

Barca

Post by Barca »

We have seen this issue a few times on a Crafter. Remove the crankshaft pulley for the cambelt and check the key way. We have seen a couple of pulleys cracked/damaged also causing the crankshaft to be worn

PCM

Post by PCM »

Hi Barca, I'm also experiencing the same symptoms. I'll check that next. Thanks!
How did you fare, Protec?
Barca wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:12 am
We have seen this issue a few times on a Crafter. Remove the crankshaft pulley for the cambelt and check the key way. We have seen a couple of pulleys cracked/damaged also causing the crankshaft to be worn
protech wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:00 pm
Hi there

Thank you

Barca

Post by Barca »

:D Yep thats it!