Learning the First look waves

Ask any questions about using PicoScope 6 Automotive software here.
DebbieSidera
OneWave
OneWave

Learning the First look waves

Post by DebbieSidera »

Hi guys, I have a '53 Jaguar XK120 (straight 6 cyl) at the shop running pretty rough. I thought I was a good opportunity to learn about the First Look tool. Can anyone help to read/interpret these two files for cranking and idling. Also, I would like to know if I counted the cylinders correctly (I delayed 2 cyl).

Best
Debbie
Attachments
Jaguar_XK120_Exhaust pulse vs ignition at Idle_20190620-0001.psdata
(17.29 MiB) Downloaded 331 times
Jaguar_XK120_Cranking Exhaust pulse_20190620-0001.psdata
(2.21 MiB) Downloaded 333 times
Exhaust pulse Cranking XK120 June 20th,2019.png
2Exhaust vs Ignition Idle XK120 June 20th,2019.png

Iver
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: Learning the First look waves

Post by Iver »

http://senxtech.com/how-it-works/#tab4-works

There you can find lots of information, manuals & videos.

DebbieSidera
OneWave
OneWave

Post by DebbieSidera »

Thanks Iver. The videos are pretty much just the theory of the tool. In my opinion there is only one pdf that is really good info. As always, there is a big step from the theory to the everyday world.

Iver
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Iver »

Indeed Sidera.

Theory and Real Life don't always agree. I do own a First Look and the results from it are not always easy to analyse when you are new to it.

There, PDF's & Videos will never be as good as actual hands on learning.

My first experience with the First Look made me wonder if it had a place in my life !!

Then I put it on a known good car and created faults. Misfires, Air Leaks ...... ..... .....

That was the moment I went from being confused by the theory to gaining real life, useful hands on experience.

I have also tried the WPS for Exhaust pulse analysis.

They only told me what I could already knew, it's got a misfire !! I could hear and feel by putting my hand on the car that it had a misfire. Of course it would identify the cylinder with some calculations.

Having made the comparisons of both tools I actually prefer using the Crank Sensor with a Math Channel to examine individual cylinder contribution / smooth running. Much easier to read and interpret the results.

The First Look & WPS are great in lots of applications, I'm just not a great lover of them for exhaust pulses.

The other point of note is that here in the UK most cars I look at are 4 cylinder so a misfire is prominent. You can hear it a mile off. With more cylinders 8 or 12 it's not that prominent to the human but the First look will confirm any doubts.

That's my 2 cents.