buying NVH

Ask questions relating specifically to the PicoDiagnostics NVH equipment and software here.
lastvagn8
OneWave
OneWave

buying NVH

Post by lastvagn8 »

Hi all.

working with heavy trucks daily and of course lighter vehicles.
We are troubleshooting a Volvo Truck atm with vibration around 80km/h.Doesnt change if RPM of the engine rises or lowers. We think it's wheel related but changed wheels around the vehicle. No change.

Now we are shifting focus to maybe a clutch or propellershaft, or rear axle.
any of these components are expensive and fairly much job to replace.

Is the NVH-kit able to determine from where the vibrations come from? Thinking if we place accellometers at the frame, rearaxle or gearbox ie?

Hope you can answer it quickly.

Kind regards
Jim Lagerqvist

Technician
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: buying NVH

Post by Technician »

Hi Jim,

Steve Smith would be the best person to answer your requirements, and if you need a super fast reply it might be better to ring their help line.

I have the NVH kit and it is a very good kit but takes some time to learn and research its use on vehicles. The prop shaft side of NVH will require the additional kit but the help line is best to advise.

ben.martins
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by ben.martins »

Hello Jim,

Thank you for your post regarding NVH and HD vehicles.

With regards to the software it can most definitely help you identify offending frequencies and from that move you to components rotating at that frequency.

There are a number of tools within the software that can then help to identify components. Things like propshaft vibrations can be found by including the gear ratios in the advanced tab. There is a lot to take in with NVH Jim and I think to give you the best possible idea of what is achievable is to take a look at a number of the posts on here. We've grouped together the ones we believe to be most useful here - https://www.picoauto.com/support/topic15231.html#p57531 where if you scroll down you'll find the NVH section.

As Technician has mentioned we might be able to better help you via our technical support desk rather than the forum if you need additional support.

NVH isn't an easy subject but then nothing is easy. Rest assured though we can help you as much as we can but once you understand the theory the best way is to learn is to use it.

Kind regards

Ben

lastvagn8
OneWave
OneWave

Post by lastvagn8 »

I ordered a kit yesterday! Hopefully it will arrive tomorrow here in Sweden. Problem is I think a need a hydraulic measurement kit, and maybe a wps too.

Getting expensive this! 😀😎🤟

Iver
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Iver »

and maybe a wps too.
everyone needs a WPS !! Superb tool, sets the Men & Boys apart !!
No Pain No Gain Jim ! :D :D

Technician
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Technician »

lastvagn8 wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:20 pm
I ordered a kit yesterday! Hopefully it will arrive tomorrow here in Sweden. Problem is I think a need a hydraulic measurement kit, and maybe a wps too.

I truly believe that the initial investment might seem daunting at first, but after using the kit(s) a while and seeing how fast and accurate your test results will be, the confidence in decision making and the return profits you'll receive, I'm convinced you'll see it is really very good value for money, and lets not forget that Pico do provide us with FREE software updates, and are now actively asking us for our input into their development to make the Pico range of products "Simply the Best" user experience that money can buy.