Rav4 fault code 78(8)

If you are not a PicoScope user and want advice with a diagnostic problem then post here. Forum members may be able to help.
Burt_100
OneWave
OneWave

Rav4 fault code 78(8)

Post by Burt_100 »

I have a Rav4 showing a fault code 78(8) fuel pump malfunction (short) the scv’s had a high duty and current draw so I replaced but the code returned and now the car has sudden bursts of power when driving along but only when warm, Is there a test I could do to check fuel pressure and would it need to be done while the fault occurs or is there another way to get it to show up?

landroverman1958
OneWave
OneWave

Re: Rav4 fault code 78(8)

Post by landroverman1958 »

Disconnect the injectors electrically,disconnect scv or imv crank over and watch the pressure rise,on graphing meter or scope should rise imediately .5 to 1 second,and go to full pressure=4.0volts or over.

Burt_100
OneWave
OneWave

Post by Burt_100 »

The car has got 2 scv’s should I disconnet both, does that tell me the pump and supply is ok?

KimAndersen
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by KimAndersen »

Hi

When you replaced the suction control valve (SCV) - did you make a "FUEL PUMP ECU RESET" of the SCV !!! - if thats not the case, then read this document. :wink:

DENSO_HP2_FUEL_PUMP_ECU_RESET.PDF
DENSO HP2 FUEL PUMP ECU RESET
(121.86 KiB) Downloaded 1573 times

Regards
Kim

Burt_100
OneWave
OneWave

Post by Burt_100 »

I have already done the reset, there must be something additional wrong

landroverman1958
OneWave
OneWave

Post by landroverman1958 »

Good evening Burt,has the fuel rail got two electrical connectors one at each end of the high pressure rail?what model year is the Rav4?
If it has two connectors the one is the fuel rail pressure sensor,the other one the other end is the pressure control solenoid,the rail sensor measures the pressure stored in the rail,the control solenoid controls the pressure within the rail.
So as before disconnect the imv or scv(same item) disconnect the injectors electrically,the rail pressure solenoid is duty cycle controlled,if the pressure does not rise when cranked the fuel rail solenoid may be allowing the pressure to escape,check to see if its a normally open or closed solenoid.

victor2k
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by victor2k »

Hello,
Without some captured files :D use only the attached files.
Best regards