Mercedes B180 cam crank correlation fault

Ask for and share advice on using the PicoScope kit to fix vehicles here.
Doig5710
OneWave
OneWave

Mercedes B180 cam crank correlation fault

Post by Doig5710 »

Have had a 2012 Mercedes B180 brought in for me to have a look at with this code.
P001685; the position of the intake camshaft (cylinder bank 1) is implausible relative to the position of the crankshaft. There is a signal above the permissible limit value.
The other garage has been chasing this for a while now, it originally had this code so they pulled the engine out replaced a broken chain guide and the chain for good measure, then the code came back so they replaced all the other timing parts, vvt cam sprockets, cam trigger wheels and a few other bits and now they still have the same code and as i was lucky enough to have used to worked there they drove it out for me to have a look at and see what i could find. I a have a scope recording i will upload when i get back to the computer but this image is what i got from zooming in. I could not locate another one the same in the library.
WDD2462422J037854
M270.910 engine
Blue=crank
Red=exhaust cam
Green=intake cam

Any help would be great as i dont have another vehicle the same to check my patrern against, if i could get a good recording and compare then i could let them know if just the intake was out or both cams, the cam trigger wheels arent keyed to the cams they are just free to line up anywhere so may need spinning in a direction a little bit but our mecedes dealer here says they get lined up by sight no timing tools for the trigger wheels???

Liteace
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: Mercedes B180 cam crank correlation fault

Post by Liteace »

Doig5710 wrote:
The cam trigger wheels arent keyed to the cams they are just free to line up anywhere so may need spinning in a direction a little bit but our mecedes dealer here says they get lined up by sight no timing tools for the trigger wheels???
Can't help but sounds like your mercedes dealer has no clue or talking out his arse, I've not seen a late vehicle that don't need a tool for setting up timing

Doig5710
OneWave
OneWave

Post by Doig5710 »

Hope this makes sense will try upload file monday
Attachments
20180309_171608-1280x720.jpg

serfer66

Post by serfer66 »

the autodata has an exact description of how to set the timing. by pulling out the camshaft sensors you can check the position of the impulse discs

Doig5710
OneWave
OneWave

Post by Doig5710 »

Thought i'd just post up for anyone else for future reference, the timing in the first post is a incorrect timing setup but the vehicle wasnt returned after its final repair to get a good capture.