External Trigger

Ask any questions about using PicoScope 6 Automotive software here.
mkampstra

External Trigger

Post by mkampstra »

Hi,

Is it possible to make an external Trigger.
When I drive and feel the misfire and set a marker in my measurement.

I use the 4425 and automotive scope..

Best regards

PhilS
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Re: External Trigger

Post by PhilS »

Hi mkampstra

Not sure how you were looking to make that trigger.

As you know, there is no separate 'external trigger' input on the automotive scope but you can trigger on any channel.
You also have lots of possibilities on what kind of trigger you want and the thresholds.

This means that you could use something as simple as a push button if you are looking at a physical trigger.

Please feel free to give some more details and we will try to advise.

Best regards
Phil

mkampstra

Post by mkampstra »

Catching a stationary screenshot is one thing, analyzing is another thing but catching the signal when it occurs 1 in a 1000 times is more difficult, especially when driving. I already thought about making an external button with 12V but you have to use a channel you cannot use with a useful signal.

I could imagine a external trigger function, an J2534 connection (ELM/Bluetooth) with trigger on signal (like NHV test) or with a keyboard button to mark the position when you feel the engine stall for a second.

To use the scope in diagnosing one of the options would help a lot.

A stationary signal you can catch with every single scope. These advanced options would make the scope extra useful for diagnosing when driving.

Autonerdz
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Autonerdz »

catching the signal when it occurs 1 in a 1000 times is more difficult, especially when driving.
It's not difficult at all. Just set the scope up in a continuous streaming mode. One screen with lot's of time continuously scrolling. You do not have to even look at it while driving. When you feel it, just reach over and hit the space bar (after enabling this as start/stop). When done properly, you have it. Guaranteed. If you don't see it in the capture, the monitored signals were not part of the problem.

mkampstra

Post by mkampstra »

Great I found how!
Checked keyboard layout Advanced and it worked. Couldnt find where to set because mine is Dutch. Starting is called UITVOEREN.

Now it works!

Autonerdz
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Autonerdz »

If you mean enabling the space bar as start / stop, sorry should have been more clear...

Just left click anywhere in the scope screen area than then leave your mouse pointer there. Space bar is mow start/stop.

Continuous streaming shown here:

http://www.autonerdz.com/cgi/yabb2/YaBB ... 5231719#13