Nissan Navara engine cuts out at idle

Ask for and share advice on using the PicoScope kit to fix vehicles here.
victor2k
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Nissan Navara engine cuts out at idle

Post by victor2k »

Hello,
On a Nissan Navara 2.5dCi/D40 engine type/2008 the engine cuts out at idle after the warming.
No faults stored in ECU,no cuts out until the engine is warm(55-65*C).
This engine is equipped with Denso injectors so I can perform the back leak test for all injectors-no sign of excessive leak before the engine cut out(in file 3),SCV was replaced.Also I can't see any restriction on the supply line of pump.
Until now I can't find the reason for this issue .Maybe someone can look on my files ?Other measurements to show the issue?
Any advice is welcome.
Thank you
Attachments
Nissan_Navara_2008_Diesel_5.psdata
(3.16 MiB) Downloaded 1446 times
Nissan_Navara_2008_Diesel_3.psdata
(2.64 MiB) Downloaded 755 times
Nissan_Navara_2008_Diesel_2.psdata
(882.12 KiB) Downloaded 787 times
Nissan_Navara_Diesel_4.psdata
CAM vs CRANK vs injector curent
(8.38 MiB) Downloaded 829 times

ben.martins
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Re: Nissan Navara engine cuts out at idle

Post by ben.martins »

Hi Victor2k,

I've had a look at your captures and they the injector current really doesn't look right. With some there is almost no hold in current to keep the injector open.

I may be wrong and please correct me, but am I right in thinking the Denso injectors fitted are PiezoElectric? If this is the case then I expect there is an injector driver which is a similar setup to Toyota.

If this is the case it might be worthwhile finding the injector signal and confirmation signal to and from the ECM and the Injector Driver. As it would appear to be a possible temperature based fault this would help to see if the signal and response is still there when the engine cuts out. Might just tell you what it isn't at the moment which in some cases can be as useful as what it is.

Hope this helps and let us know how you get on.

Kind regards

Ben

victor2k
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by victor2k »

ben.martins wrote:Hi Victor2k,

I've had a look at your captures and they the injector current really doesn't look right. With some there is almost no hold in current to keep the injector open.

I may be wrong and please correct me, but am I right in thinking the Denso injectors fitted are PiezoElectric? If this is the case then I expect there is an injector driver which is a similar setup to Toyota.

Ben
Hello,
Thank you for your answer.
Until now I suspected a ECU strategy to detect the SCV stuck ...
No,Nissan does not use the Injector Driver similar to Toyota,is more like Bosch architecture on this car
Also the injectors is solenoid type,not piezo(please see the attached file).
Best regards.
Attachments
solenoid injectors.rar
(515.24 KiB) Downloaded 811 times

kona
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by kona »

Attachments
2018-02-23_000323.gif

seafordmotors
OneWave
OneWave

Post by seafordmotors »

Hi Victor,

Looking at your upload no4 Cam/Crank sensor signal I think you will find a retarded valve timing.

The Nissan D40 does not log a crank/cam corelation code. Most timing chains are strectched quite significant after about 150 000km. It is a well known issue. I have done quite a view. If you ever replace a timing chain you should also replace all sprockets as well Maybe in your case the wear is just about borderline so that with a warm engine and thinner engine OIl the tensioners ( there are two ) can not take up enough tension. After all it is a Nissan they are sometimes temperamental and always good for some surprises.

kona
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by kona »

Hi again,

Look at this: :shock: :shock:

From /Nissan_Navara_2008_Diesel_3.psdata/
Attachments
2018-02-24_001137.gif
2018-02-24_001137.gif (9.97 KiB) Viewed 36201 times
2018-02-24_001158.gif
Last edited by kona on Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

landroverman1958
OneWave
OneWave

Post by landroverman1958 »

Hi good morning are you sure the crank sensor is not breaking down?it certainly looks like it is,is it possible to use a hot air gun or freeze spray to check?

Doig5710
OneWave
OneWave

Post by Doig5710 »

Have done a few of these now, if you do the chain i would reccomend using genuine parts as some prople here have used cheaper parts only to fail, slip and have to redo the job in 2-3 months time.
Have a look at these.
Attachments
Bad cam timing
Bad cam timing
Good cam timing with new chain
Good cam timing with new chain