Octavia non start

Ask for and share advice on using the PicoScope kit to fix vehicles here.
DIESEL_DOCTOR

Octavia non start

Post by DIESEL_DOCTOR »

Hi all, this is my first post and typically I assume like most looking for some input/guidance with a problem!!

We have a 2.0L Octavia Diesel (BKD) in with a non start issue, diagnostic equipment not reading crank signal.
When we've scoped the reference voltage and signal from the sensor, we seem to be loosing the signal voltage when the sensor is "on load" (forgive me if the terminology is a tad pants), as per the attached. We do also have a poor ground (or negative) to the sensor, but we have grounded this but still get the same trace.

In addition the reference voltage for the cam sensor is non existent when connected, i.e. we have 5V prior to connecting but nothing when connected.

Could I be so bold to ask for your thoughts please.

Thanks in advance
Nev :D
Attachments
Crank sensor supply and signal
Crank sensor supply and signal

liviu2004
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: Octavia non start

Post by liviu2004 »

Short to ground on 5v reference voltage which goes to cam sensor. Start pulling the connectors for all sensors and actuators until your connected cam has 5V. Or maybe that cam sensor is shot.

Do you have wiring diagrams for me?

DIESEL_DOCTOR

Post by DIESEL_DOCTOR »

Thanks for the reply, diagram attached.
It would make sense that the cam sensor is shorted to ground, but even with it disconnected and with the 5v reference then present the signal on the crank remains the same?
Attachments
Wiring diagram _ Autodata.pdf
(355.68 KiB) Downloaded 397 times

liviu2004
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by liviu2004 »

I would not worry now about crank sensor. Fix the other obvious problem. I will check the diagram this evening and make a plan of attack.

grunf1976
OneWave
OneWave

Post by grunf1976 »

Hi,
what year is the car? on these cars when cam sensor dies it still starts but logs a fault code for it and it takes a longer cranking time . common problem on 2.0 for not starting is shorted injector. it shorts to ground. it is rare on BKD engines but worth checking because those are the symptoms.

liviu2004
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by liviu2004 »

DIESEL_DOCTOR wrote:Thanks for the reply, diagram attached.
It would make sense that the cam sensor is shorted to ground, but even with it disconnected and with the 5v reference then present the signal on the crank remains the same?
Drawing is very hard to read, but from what I can tell, there is no way to know to which component the reference voltage goes. Follow the advice above me, cause I am not really into VW group.