WPS500 strange noise

Ask any questions relating to the PicoScope hardware or kit contents here.
If you have any questions prior to purchasing the kit post them here.
victor2k
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

WPS500 strange noise

Post by victor2k »

Hello,
Today I picked up my WPS500 KIT.
And I spend some time to see how good was my custom pressure sensor...
Wrong ideea...now I'm confused...I see some strange noise on WPS500,my expectation was to see the noise on my custom sensor(high speed opamp,without filtering at 10 KHz,without autozeroing or low offset,I used only a twisted wires not a coaxial cable and plastic box for opamp).I see the expected noise at the low level ,I see the sensor limit at 32 BAR(on my sensor),also I see a lot of noise on WPS500.Why?
My setup was quite simple...WPS and custom sensor read the same pressure(I prepared this kit to use it for the cylinder loss of pressure inspired by this post:
https://www.picoauto.com/library/traini ... 2a67963477).
Also I can't find nothing about the pressure range for TA083,TA085 in manual.TA085 can be used only for vacuum or can be used with oil,petrol and diesel?
Regards
Attachments
20170904_1846531.jpg
__20170904-0001.psdata
(2.88 MiB) Downloaded 571 times

ben.martins
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Re: WPS500 strange noise

Post by ben.martins »

Hello victor2k,

Am sorry for the lateness in this reply and I'm glad to see you've made the leap with WPS500. Hopefully you won't be disappointed.

I'll try to answer your question as best as possible. I'm not so sure it is noise with what you are seeing but an event of some description. Quite what that is I'm not sure as I don't know what you were testing to compare the two devices. By the looks of things you were using a ultra fast timebase of 50us with a low sample rate of 20kS/s. Due to the higher bandwidth of WPS500 I believe it's picking more up than the custom probe hence the oddities on the trace. Maybe knowing what it was you were testing might help to shed some more light onto what this 'noise' could be.

To answer your other questions regarding TA083 and the TA085.

TA083 has a safe maximum pressure rating of 500 psi / 34.47 bar and can be used on standard fuel rails fitted with the large type Schrader valve. All materials compatible with gasoline and ethanol/ethanol blends.

The TA085 has been designed for use within vacuum circuits. Whilst I imagine it is capable of with standing some oil and fuel it is not what it's initial purpose was for so I can not advise using it for this. There are a number of different accessories available from the website https://www.picoauto.com/products/press ... transducer and the 'T' pieces you have in your kit will be more that capable of dealing with any testing you may wish to carry out, unless there is something more specific you had in mind?

Hope this helps to some degree and do let me know your thoughts regarding your capture.

Kind regards

Ben

victor2k
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by victor2k »

Hello again,
Why the zero level isn't the same for measurements of different days?
This can be linked with the atmospheric pressure(the WPS sensor was started unplugged).
Thank you.
Attachments
InkedWPS500_LI.jpg

ben.martins
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by ben.martins »

Hi Victor,

One thing we could recommend is just before you turn the pressure transducer on to run through its self calibration, is to open the bleed port. This way any slight changes in atmospheric pressure can be taking into consideration. Keeping the bleed port held open switch on the transducer and wait until the three Range LEDs to light up in sequence. At the end of the sequence, Range 1 LED remains lit, showing that the transducer has finished its auto-zeroing procedure.

Hopefully this should see allow the transducer to take into account any slight deviation in atmospheric pressure.

Hope this helps,

Kind regards

Ben

victor2k
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by victor2k »

Hello,
Today I see a strange light on my WPS500:a red light is on at the right side of start/stop switch.
In the user manual this is described as a warning light.
I will attach a photo with this.
Thank you
Attachments
20180115_111146.jpg

ben.martins
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by ben.martins »

Hello Victor,

Would you be able to send an email into our technical support team, support@picotech.com, please? From here they will be able to assist you further with this warning light you have on your WPS500X.

Kind regards

Ben

Liteace
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Liteace »

victor2k wrote:Hello,
Today I see a strange light on my WPS500:a red light is on at the right side of start/stop switch.
Thank you

When you know can you let us know the secret of the red led so we know what to do when ours does the same

victor2k
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by victor2k »

Liteace wrote:
victor2k wrote:Hello,
Thank you

When you know can you let us know the secret of the red led so we know what to do when ours does the same
:shock: This is a joke or what?
I must send back my sensor for inspection/repair,after I will get RMA.
Something not work good on the charging side...but not allways.