Cannot zoom in on capture.

Ask any non-NVH related questions about using PicoDiagnostics software here.
mastertech02
OneWave
OneWave

Cannot zoom in on capture.

Post by mastertech02 »

Can any one please give advice on this. If i attempt to zoom into capture the capture disappears of the screen .
Have opened on various machines same affect also have removed old version of Pico and loaded new.
As you zoom it flashes on screen then disappears.
I can down load file from pico site and that zooms ok. So must be user error.

Thanks for any advice or assistance
Attachments
Current test.psdata
(2.99 MiB) Downloaded 634 times

Technician
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: Cannot zoom in on capture.

Post by Technician »

Not so sure what is happening on your computer system, but the Pico wave form you have uploaded has opened OK, I can zoom in and out OK and can't see a problem. Are you using the tools on the upper right side of the toolbar?

Autonerdz
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Autonerdz »

Easy to see the issue here using the current release and the beta. I observe it vanishing from the left side until is is completely gone at 160x zoom.

We call this the eternal zoom vanish bug. It has been with us for many years. Have not seen one this bad in a while though....

It seems to be aggravated with the use of custom probes. Have you experienced this with any other captures?

We have been submitting examples of this since I can't remember when. As yet, I don't think the Pico wizards have gotten a handle on it. Perhaps your file will help in this much needed investigation. Thanks for bringing it up....

mastertech02
OneWave
OneWave

Post by mastertech02 »

Yes I have seen it in other captures. Thought it was way I captured it or machine .But not so. I can open files from pico site and they zoom ok. Also if file sent to others they appear to be able to open and zoom ok.

Thanks for assistance.

Autonerdz
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Autonerdz »

mastertech02 wrote: Also if file sent to others they appear to be able to open and zoom ok.
I can't explain that. :?

ben.martins
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by ben.martins »

Hello mastertech02,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention and please accept my apologies for not getting back to you sooner.

I think it has always been difficult to get to resolve this issue given due to the fact I cannot reproduce the bug using the settings provided (from the psdata file in the link) and the new software 6.12.7.2724. As with our vehicle diagnosis, one of the steps to take is to confirm and replicate the fault which I have been unable to do so.

We have been looking at the file you have posted here and as Tom has mentioned here, this is something that has occurred before. I have put in a request for this to be looked into again and something interesting has come out of this. The team have a feeling that it may have something to do with the way the file was saved. What is also interesting here is the file has been saved in Demo mode which we can see from the Properties tab. This tells me that you may have made some amendments to the original file post capture and then re-saved the file in Demo mode. I couldn't tell you if this is something to do with the issue you have raised but it maybe a factor, therefore I have a few questions for you -

Which scope did you use to perform the original capture?
What software version of PicoScope did you use for the original capture?
What version of windows was the computer on when the original capture was made?
If you used a different computer to save the file you have posted, how did you transfer the original file from the computer/laptop you used for the original capture?

Sorry if the seems like a lot of questions and again, please accept my apologies for not getting back to you sooner but rest assured every comment, new feature request, bug report, email and feedback is taken seriously, documented and processed accordingly.

Kind regards

Ben

Autonerdz
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Autonerdz »

ben.martins wrote:Hello mastertech02,

I think it has always been difficult to get to resolve this issue given due to the fact I cannot reproduce the bug using the settings provided (from the psdata file in the link) and the new software 6.12.7.2724. As with our vehicle diagnosis, one of the steps to take is to confirm and replicate the fault which I have been unable to do so.
This is quite the mystery then. I opened the file with 6.12.7.2724 having my 4425 attached. No problem seeing the issue in the saved file. I then ran the scope and captured one full screen without changing any settings. The issue was unchanged and my two flat lines from each channel vanished from the left exactly as the original file. I then saved this file and opened it. The problem was unchanged.

I have attached it here so you can have a play.

Thanks for taking another look at this. 8)
Attachments
test.psdata
Duplicated issue running with given settings and saving.
(1.63 MiB) Downloaded 597 times

ben.martins
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by ben.martins »

Hi Tom,

Apologies, there may have been a little confusion in my reply. I can see the issue with the file that mastertech02 has uploaded. I get the same problem when zooming in on the trace when opened in 6.12.7.2724 and the new BETA version of PicoScope. What I can't do is replicate the fault from creating a new file.

What I am trying to establish is how the problem occurred in the first place, as since starting with Pico this is the only file I've ever seen do this when zooming in. If we can determine how it happened in the first place we can hopefully resolve the problem for the future. This is what I meant by "replicating the fault."

Thank you for uploading the file and for taking the time to also look into this.

Kind regards

Ben

Martyn
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by Martyn »

The issue here is the use of filters, either on the channels themselves, or in the custom probes.

Filters require a set number of data points to be able to work and as you zoom in the first filtered data point that can be plotted drifts away from the left hand edge of the screen. If you zoom in far enough you get to a position where there are insufficient data points on the screen to be able to calculate a filtered value, and so the trace disappears.

The more aggressive the filter the quicker the trace will disappear.

This is not a bug, just an artifact of maths.
Martyn
Technical Support Manager

Autonerdz
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Autonerdz »

Thanks for that Martyn.

We have noticed that with the use of excessive filter. That channel will vanish either from the left or right but the non filtered channels remain. That is different from what we have experienced as the zoom vanish effect.

In some instances we have see this on captures without filter... Not of late however.

In this example, can you explain why non filtered channels vanish along with the filtered?