J2534 adapter for Heavy Truck (Class 8)

Ask questions relating specifically to the PicoDiagnostics NVH equipment and software here.
Mike_mtor

J2534 adapter for Heavy Truck (Class 8)

Post by Mike_mtor »

What is the recommendation for a J2534 to get engine/vehicle data for the NVH kit for class 8 heavy trucks? I have tried the Noregon JPro adapter that we typically use to connect for other software packages but the Pico software did not recognize that it was connected to the laptop.

Steve Smith
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Re: J2534 adapter for Heavy Truck (Class 8)

Post by Steve Smith »

Hi Mike I hope you are well?

Thank you for the post and sorry for such a late reply.

I have looked at the JPro adapter and the specifications on their website and it seems J2534 is not listed

Supports the heavy duty SAE J1587/J1708, J1939, ISO 15765 and KWP2000 messages

J1939 is however listed and this is a New Feature Request that is high on the list for development here at Pico.
(Said way too much already)

Given J1939 is the industry standard for Heavy Goods and Commercial Vehicles with regards to communication, your JPro adapter will function with NVH when such a feature is released.

In the meantime, to obtain engine speed I have used the Optical Sensor aimed directly at the crankshaft pulley or the crankshaft sensor signal input option at the NVH Set Up screen.
RPM VIA CHANNEL D-NVH.jpg
Using the "Calculate Road Speed" option the software will calculate the vehicle speed once you enter the gear ratios under the "Vehicle Information" screen
CALCULATE ROAD SPEED.jpg
NVH RATIO ENTRY-ADVANCED OPTION.jpg
Have you been able to overcome the OBD connectivity issue in this fashion Mike?

Take care.......Steve

Mike_mtor

Post by Mike_mtor »

Thanks,

Right now I have just been using it at a constant RPM and it has been OK. Will try with the optical sensor. Adding J-1939 support would be a huge benefit. This tool would be great for the heavy truck industry. Please let me know when that functionality is available!

Mike

Steve Smith
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by Steve Smith »

Hello Mike I hope you are well?

Sorry for the delay, just a quick update to let you know J1939 is under development here at Pico

Whilst this is great news it will require a number of development resources that are working with other projects and so I cannot give you a time to completion.

I guess the purpose of this feedback is to let you know this is moving along nicely and we have not forgotten this New Feature Request.

I will keep you posted, take care.......Steve

Mike_mtor

Post by Mike_mtor »

Great to hear. Will keep checking back. This would be a great addition for us.

Thanks,
Mike

ben.martins
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by ben.martins »

Hello Mike,

Great to hear that including J1939 in the NVH would be a benefit and as Steve has mentioned it is very much under development. Whilst we still cannot give you a completion date the project is underway and has not been forgotten.

We will of course keep this post updated as more information becomes available.

Actually to help us move forward with this would you be able to assist? I know there are a number of different connectors for HGV's but is there a particular type you see more of than others? Generally we see that the green 9 Pin adaptor is pretty common but would you say that is the case in your experience?

Kind regards

Ben

matt07181986
OneWave
OneWave

Post by matt07181986 »

The green 9-pin connector is the most common connector I come into contact with. I use my Nexiq USB-Link2 to work on the trucks.

ben.martins
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by ben.martins »

Thanks Matt,

Just starting it get a feel for what type of leads are the most common!

Kind regards

Ben

Mike_mtor

Post by Mike_mtor »

Most of our field group use the Noregon JPro adapters for our computer diagnostic software.

The green round plug is the most common, however many of the truck manufacturers are changing to the OBD2 connector.

Looking forward to the kit working with J1939!
Mike

ben.martins
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by ben.martins »

Hello,

Just a small update for all those interested in J1939, we now have support within our NVH software in the latest software build which is available to download from our website. http://www.picoauto.com/downloads

We have been working with Drewtech and are supporting the Drewlinq tool to allow connection to J1939 but I'm not sure if the software will allow other devices to act as a Passthru to get onto the network, but having used Drewlinq here in the UK it works well.

Hope this brings a little good news to those that have been waiting for it!

Kind regards

Ben