Toyota

Ask for and share advice on using the PicoScope kit to fix vehicles here.
Aauto

Toyota

Post by Aauto »

Hi there we are new to Pico, we have a toyota that has given a funny wave pattern, it came in scanned and pulled out codes Po011 Cam position and Po016 crank shaft position, stretched chains?? Toyota dont stock so good indication they dont give issues. Have cleared codes and havent come back. Have probed crank sensor and we feel there is something in this wave pattern, can anyone help.

Thanks Craig and Lisa Anderson

PicoKev
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: Toyota

Post by PicoKev »

Craig & Lisa,

It is rather difficult for anyone to give you an opinion on a waveform unless you upload the file to the forum! :?

This forum just like the rest of the internet can only see what you give us to work with.

My suggestion to all posters is that they give the community as much information and background as possible. Remember that no one can see what you see.

Some things to consider:
Full vehicle details: (inc. engine code)
Customer complaint:
All codes: (with full descriptions)
Tests that you have carried out: (including values measured)
Waveforms captured: (Reduce the number of saved buffers to only the relevant ones to keep the file size down and stop the forum taking ages to load.)
Toyota dont stock so good indication they dont give issues.
Sorry but that is Bravo Sierra! :roll: :D Dealers stock very little nowadays and there stock levels are absolutely not a valid diagnostic method.

Get that waveform posted and some more info and the hopefully someone may be able to help out. :) :)

victor2k
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by victor2k »

Aauto wrote:Hi there we are new to Pico, we have a toyota that has given a funny wave pattern, it came in scanned and pulled out codes Po011 Cam position and Po016 crank shaft position, stretched chains?? Toyota dont stock so good indication they dont give issues. Have cleared codes and havent come back. Have probed crank sensor and we feel there is something in this wave pattern, can anyone help.

Thanks Craig and Lisa Anderson
Hello,
If you have VIN I can search for some TSB.
Regards

Aauto

Post by Aauto »

JTFHX02P805000704 is the vin number, I will go see why my wave pattern didnt attach.

Thanks for the replies so far

Lisa

STC
Banned

Post by STC »

Toyota dont stock so good indication they dont give issues.
Sorry but that is Bravo Sierra! :roll: :D Dealers stock very little nowadays and there stock levels are absolutely not a valid diagnostic method.
Another superb post from PicoKev, hitting the nail Square on the head !!!

:D :D Picture of me in a Cheerleaders outfit with a "Go Kev Go" Motif on my chest uploaded soon(ish) :D :D

Absolutely agree Kev, apart from stock levels at the dealers:
1. Post Warranty, how many will buy aftermarket and not from the dealer? Ruining that statistic !?
2. Of the number sold or stocked, Did the purchasers achieve a first time fix with a chain kit ?

I have seen and heard this many time in workshops where the number of units stocked or sold has lead to the "Replace it or Not" Decision that It is parts darts, nothing less !! It seldom ends well and often creates more problems making the thing harder to fix.

Can any one hazard a guess or tell me how many replacement O2 Sensors, MAF's, Cam Sensors, Crank Sensors, Alternators, Starter Motors, Batteries, Diesel Injectors and CR HP Pumps Bobby Bosch sold to the Aftermarket (including Via the Franchised Dealer Networks) last year that did not fix the fault ?

Craig Lisa

With the P0011 & 16 Codes I very much doubt that you have a faulty crank sensor, that would throw a P0335 in most cases.
Only a scope capture of the Cam or Cams and Crank will show any fault or fluctuation in correlation. The Faults indicate that this has VVT, Recording and Analysing VVT Cam / Crank traces is a challenge in itself, they Vary by design !!!

Did you record the Valuable Freeze Frame Data before Clearing the Codes ?

Can you confirm Oil Level is correct and when the Oil and Filter was last replaced, Time and Miles ?
What Make and Grade of Oil ?

Are you able to make an Independent Oil Pressure Measurement ?
Last edited by STC on Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

ben.martins
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by ben.martins »

Hi Craig and Lisa,

Welcome to the forum! Always good to see new people here and hopefully we can all help to further your journey with PicoScope.

As PicoKev mentioned the more information you can give and any waveform captures you have will help everyone here to assist you with your problem. I think some of the questions PicoKev has asked should be part of a diagnostic procedure you may have already put in place.

Doing a little digging on the back of the VIN number you have supplied I can see it is a Hiace, 2.7L petrol using the 3RZ-FE engine, most likely to be around 2001 (ish!) If this is correct then according to the RM it doesn't appear to use a form a VVT-i. Looks like a single camshaft sprocket which links the two cams by gears.

As STC and PicoKev have said the waveform of a cam and crank signal is going to tell more of the story and what is going on. A quick search for the fault codes say it's positioning so the capture will show more along with any other tests and measurements you have acquired. If you have any issues with uploading files then please let us know.

Kind regards

Ben Martins

victor2k
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by victor2k »

Hello,
I can't find any TSB related to P0016,P0011.
Here you will find the check procedure for valve timing and VVT according to RM.
And some waveform for cam/crank and OCV...
Regards
Attachments
New folder.rar
(977.41 KiB) Downloaded 428 times

STC
Banned

Post by STC »

still no waveform - Perhaps no Pico ??