Flow Meter

Ask for and share advice on using the PicoScope kit to fix vehicles here.
STC
Banned

Flow Meter

Post by STC »

In the last week I have had 3 jobs where fuel flow was an issue, with and without electric lift pumps.

To add to the misery the flow issue was only an issue under load and measurements in the workshop were not in real time with the fault occurring.

I would like to use a Flow Meter in series with the supply line. There are rumours that PICO have considered the idea but not sure how far they got or want to go with it.

Can any one help with this, a compact unit that can be attached to a scope would be ideal.

thanks

steevegt
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: Flow Meter

Post by steevegt »

I also believe that a flow meter could be a great tool sometimes.

I could imagine a lot of potential for that.
Using more than one sensor, for differential flow calculation, could also be interesting.

For instance, in a commonrail system that generates no pressure, with sensors with enough resolution and precision you could easily verify if you have a leak somewhere in the system, using a flow meter in the feed and another in the return pipe.

Direction of flow, could also be used to find the leaks location, maybe!?

Many more applications could be found for this I guess...

I have found some products, that I didn't test at all, but that are made for a scope. I don't know if I can put links for that in here.
I will send you a PM with details and specs.

victor2k
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by victor2k »

STC wrote:In the last week I have had 3 jobs where fuel flow was an issue, with and without electric lift pumps.

To add to the misery the flow issue was only an issue under load and measurements in the workshop were not in real time with the fault occurring.

I would like to use a Flow Meter in series with the supply line. There are rumours that PICO have considered the idea but not sure how far they got or want to go with it.

Can any one help with this, a compact unit that can be attached to a scope would be ideal.

thanks
Hello,
And your flow issue wasn't reflected into the pressure drop?
About the flow meter ...too many variables for searching the best :accuracy,price,temperature range,type of fluid,...

Regards
Last edited by victor2k on Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

Fat Freddy
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Fat Freddy »

IIRC TiePie do one. But before you go rushing out to buy one check the details.............Carefully

They, TiePie, have nice idea's and some very good ones but their scopes seriously lack power....... TiePie for show. Pico for a pro.

HTH
FF

STC
Banned

Post by STC »

Victor
And your flow issue wasn't reflected into the pressure drop?
It was, had to be.

A flow sensor for me is a "LIKE" to have more so than "NEED" to have.

STC
Banned

Post by STC »

I have made some progress with this. I bought a simple Flow meter that will run off a 9v Battery suitable for Petrol & Diesel.
This is what I achieved by adding Math Channels for Frequency and a Calculation for Litres per Minute. I have not done much to establish its accuracy but I can say it appears to be ok. (it is claimed to be accurate to +-0.5%
Fuel Flow - Delete.png
If you look at the wave form notes you will see that I have taken that waveform on a faulty car, as the fault occurred out on the road. To me this is a milestone in testing.
One day I may test it with known flow rates between 0.25 L/m up to 5 L/m with a garden hose and water.

For now I am happy to test flow in the workshop with a 2 litre plastic bottle and then use the flow meter on road tests. Once I Know its accuracy, or adjust the Math Channel to force accuracy it can hopefully eliminate the plastic bottle.

victor2k
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by victor2k »

Hello,
But you have some references for the measured flow rates?I can't find anything in ELSA related to the flow rate,so I think we must build our database ...
I can't find a good description of the pressure variation for electric lift pump in RM,only some words in a SSP...
Regards
Attachments
low pressure supply.rar
(615.07 KiB) Downloaded 431 times

KimAndersen
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by KimAndersen »

The specifications here are from a Audi TDI 2.0 4-valve with common rail system gen. II.

Engine code: CFGB

Specification in 15 seconds: at least 600 ml

Regards
Kim

STC
Banned

Post by STC »

Victor

I am sure there is something in Elsa, this is a 2012 Seat Alahambra CFFB Engine code.
Also SSP 826803 & 890113

Kim
I'm guessing the CFFB & CFGB will have similar specs ?? Can you confirm

KimAndersen
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by KimAndersen »

STC

They have different specification so,

Engine code: CFFB

Specification in 30 seconds: at least 1000 ml.