2013 Ford focus will not perform DPF regeneration

Ask for and share advice on using the PicoScope kit to fix vehicles here.
RYM6746
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

2013 Ford focus will not perform DPF regeneration

Post by RYM6746 »

Hi all the focus in question has been in twice now in the last 2 months. It is 1.6L diesel with DPF and CAT in one unit, directly after the manifold/Turbo. It also has the exhaust gas treatment fluid system (injector mounted before the CAT spraying treatment into the exhaust). It takes a while for these fault codes to set due to the DPF only being partially blocked (270mbar at WOT) The fault codes are insufficient heat to perform regen and soot level high. I have tried a forced regen with the Ford IDS. It goes through the whole process and says "complete" at the end. But watching the temprature it never goes above 270 degrees. I have also driven it meeting all the correct conditions to regen but still the temperature is around 270. I have performed a BG intake flush. Still the DPF has the same back pressure. After speaking to a ford tech he seems to think that the injector that supplies the exhaust gas treatment into the exhaust is faulty and it is that which is not allowing the heat to build up. What are your thoughts on this as I have not come across this fault before and the injector is around £180. Thanks for your time and input.

Dcunning35
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: 2013 Ford focus will not perform DPF regeneration

Post by Dcunning35 »

Firstly can you clarify the age of this vehicle by injector in the exhaust I am assuming this is a vaporizer equipped system..
Firstly detach the fuel supply line from the vapourizer unit and create a vacuum on the component if its not blocked the venturi it will not build or hold vacuum.
Also check the vaporizer glow plug circuit for loss of isolation these can short and blow fuses.
If all this checks out chrck

Dcunning35
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Dcunning35 »

Apologies for multiple posts .
If the vaporizer and glow plug test ok look at the fuel pump to vaporizer ,resticted line , does it run in regen these are pwm controlled.
If all that is good check the egt circuits intercooler bypass and egr are all working correctly .

STC
Banned

Post by STC »

RYM
You are in good hands with DCunning (Danny) assisting you through this fault.
ford tech he seems to think that the injector that supplies the exhaust gas treatment into the exhaust is faulty and it is that which is not allowing the heat to build up. What are your thoughts on this as I have not come across this fault before and the injector is around £180. Thanks for your time and input.
I am half dead with Man Flu right now so put me right if I get it wrong.

The injector into the Exhaust is "SCR" is it not? To deal with NOx - Adblue ?
That Injector and its supply pump can be activated by IDS ? to test it ?

Heat up the Temp sensor with a flame, can it report more than 270 ?

Test the DPF pressure sensor using a Mityvac- Independent verification of its output signal.

Infra Red Thermometer pointing at Temp Sensor area - compared to serial data - additional verification.

RYM6746
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by RYM6746 »

Firstly can you clarify the age of this vehicle by injector in the exhaust I am assuming this is a vaporizer equipped system..
It is a 2013 and yes it is a vaporizer equipped system.
Should a good vaporizer not hold a vacuum? I will check the glow plug on it tomorrow thank you for your help.

RYM6746
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by RYM6746 »

To be honest I am not sure it is the first time I have come across this system
Heat up the Temp sensor with a flame, can it report more than 270 ?
When revving the crap out of it on a road test you can get it to around 400-500 degrees. The temprature then decays at a steady rate back down to 270
Test the DPF pressure sensor using a Mityvac- Independent verification of its output signal.
It reads 0 with engine off and has a little back pressure when started and reads accordingly when revved. No drop outs no fault codes and with the acceptable pressure it is reading I should be able to build up heat in the exhaust.
Infra Red Thermometer pointing at Temp Sensor area - compared to serial data - additional verification
I did try this but the DPF in question is heavily covered with heatshields and virtually impossible to get a decent reading from.
Due to process of elimination I will definitely concentrate my efforts on this vaporiser. It is the first time I have come across this system and fault so I am in unfamiliar terrotry. I thank you all for your input and I will get back to you with my test results

STC
Banned

Post by STC »

To be honest I am not sure it is the first time I have come across this system
Bit more "with it" today. :) :)

I know of only 2 reasons to have an injector in the exhaust, one would be SCR (adblue) you will know if your vehicle is equipped with this.
The second being to inject diesel for regeneration purposes. A far better idea than firing the injectors on the Exhaust Stroke to get fuel into the exhaust. Engine Oil Dilution is avoided.

I cannot access Etis right now but can see on AD that there is a designated "DPF Regeneration Fuel Pump" however it falls over and does not show me an injector.

It seems I have gone full circle and back to Danny's advice at the start.

Dcunning35
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Dcunning35 »

The 2013 doesnt use adblue in fact as yet we dont use ad ue unless commercial.
The vaporizer is for regen .

Dcunning35
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Dcunning35 »

The vaporizer is nothing special , its basically a venturi so itself totally mechanical and common to narrow due to carbon build up . The pump can be checked via ids under service function reset vaporizer pump. This will then cycle the pump but ensure the fuel line is removed from vaporizer to prevent catalyst being saturated with fuel .
Danny

RYM6746
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by RYM6746 »

So I have checked the vaporiser and it was blocked solid. I also checked the 12V supply to glow plug and it was present. So I fit new vaporiser and run regen and would you believe it temperature is still at 270 it finishes the process and says complete. The back pressure is exactly the same. Then I get a fault code stored for DPF glow plug open circuit. I check the fuses and find a blown 15A. I replace the fuse clear the code and re run the regeneration process and it STILL does not reach temprature. I was monitoring the 12V at the glow plug it was there during the regen and it did not blow the fuse again (brand new genuine part) it finished the process and said complete this time with no fault codes present and fuse was still in tact. The new part had to have blown the fuse as it was checked prior to replacement and it was all present and correct. Regardless of all of that it still doesn't build up temperature. I searched all over the Ford IDS and could not find anywhere to command the pump on. They seem to have taken away the "signpost" tab at the top of the screen on the later cars. I have checked on my bosch KTS and I can't command it on with that either. Where do I find the actuators function on the Ford IDS for this vehicle?

If not I will just power pump manually and see what comes out of pipe at vaporiser. To try and get some direction
I also need to check current flow of this glow plug now