alfa romeo cam+crank timing

If you are not a PicoScope user and want advice with a diagnostic problem then post here. Forum members may be able to help.
the57

Re: alfa romeo cam+crank timing

Post by the57 »

yes the Correlation is the same as pictured, the spark is firing at the right time, i had a lend of a pressure transducer, i've give up on it for a bit so its stuck in the corner, :oops: , it trys to start and pops back through the intake

FioranoCars
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by FioranoCars »

Please can you upload all the relevant waveforms to here (and waveform library too) so I can have a gander at them!
I'd like to be more than 100% sure that the 156 "error of 3.6deg" is definitely incorrect and that the waveform shows good timing.

I've seen Alfa's with bent phonic wheels for crank pickup, so looking at your capture would be useful, but knowing exactly which model you have too please ...

The catalyst or other exhaust issue (inc dropped valve) / blockage could cause your intake issue, if you have a pressure transducer try an exhaust and intake capture, they could be the "light on" moment ... do them both with fuel pump disabled just cranking (use an injector/spark for ID) and then again trying to start, of course an in cylinder capture from each is good, but time and effort increases ... it's better to have the intake and exhaust than in cylinder i think ...

Of Course an endoscope into the cat via the lambda sensor might reveal key tell tales...

Seeing all your captures with the spark, injector and pressure will be interesting and might encourage me to actually pull my own finger out and run the tests here! Looks like i'm driving the said car later today too, so more reason to get cracking on it!

Cheers
Richard

the57

Post by the57 »

Didn't save them, when i get round to it i'll do them again for you :wink:

FioranoCars
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by FioranoCars »

Top man!
Very kind of you

On that note, it's worth stating, especially for newbies to Scope or Pico ...
Saving captures might seem unnecessary, until you have a problem car (even unrelated manufacturer), and then have your own library of waveforms, settings and filters you used to refer back to ...

and from a Garage/Repairer perspective, having a before (aka broken car) and after (aka repaired car) is a very powerful tool should you need proof that the work you did was correct ...

Plus by uploading them to the Pico Waveform Library, it will help the Pico Community in the future :D :D

Richard