Transporter T5 1.9 TDI AXC

Ask for and share advice on using the PicoScope kit to fix vehicles here.
Technician
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: Transporter T5 1.9 TDI AXC

Post by Technician »

Took the turbo hose off today to have a better look at it, the securing clip that secures it is only securing about 50% of it and the hose is easily moved in and out of the turbo housing with the clip installed, so yes it is the leak I suspected but not a split hose as I thought. Nearest hose I have found to date is Poland, so guess I won't be nipping there tomorrow for collection :lol:

Without a noticeable leak at idle speeds today I am still not happy with the performance of the injectors readings, although I let the engine run up to 90 degrees the solenoid valve response time deviation figures were all negative today, with readings around - 0.23 to - 0.8, so it looks like there is too much fuel being injected?

I don't want to get too involved in these readings at the moment, I need to either stop the turbo leak temporarily if I can't get a hose tomorrow, and then when leak free do a good road test and observe data on return. See if I can get a hose tomorrow.

Technician
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Technician »

OK found a supplier today who had a new boost hose in stock, renewed it and road test confirms no audible leak present as I had before. I have completed another road test, well motorway run today to see how the van performs on a straight run so I can get my foot down. Here is a copy of the data from the motorway run. Although there appears now to be no leaks, the boost pressure in relation to the map sensor pressure reading is a bit more than 150 mbar at 714 mbar, if I am reading that correctly, and according to the injector solenoids it does indeed appear that the engine is getting too much fuel?

Any views on the data?

http://imgur.com/a/mWoyg
Attachments
Drive test Capture 28 Dec 16 .PNG

STC
Banned

Post by STC »

A couple of observations
the boost pressure in relation to the map sensor pressure reading is a bit more than 150 mbar at 714 mbar,
What do you think would give you a 150Bar ( ~ 20% of 714) discrepancy between "Boost Pressure" and "Map Sensor" readings ?
and according to the injector solenoids it does indeed appear that the engine is getting too much fuel?
How have you come to that thought ? I would guess that the Smoke Limitation device is taking care of that ?

Technician
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Technician »

STC wrote:A couple of observations
What do you think would give you a 150Bar ( ~ 20% of 714) discrepancy between "Boost Pressure" and "Map Sensor" readings ?

I don't want to see anything like boost pressure of 150 bar, that'll blow the intake system to a million pieces.

and according to the injector solenoids it does indeed appear that the engine is getting too much fuel?
How have you come to that thought ? I would guess that the Smoke Limitation device is taking care of that ?[/quote]

The information I have read about fuel trims advises that positive figures are adding fuel and negative figures are subtracting fuel, the T5 seems to have negative figures.

STC
Banned

Post by STC »

The information I have read about fuel trims advises that positive figures are adding fuel and negative figures are subtracting fuel, the T5 seems to have negative figures.
You have it half right but the half wrong has the potential to lead you up the garden path.
Fuel trims are a "Petrol" thing and are ideal at "Zero" and we have a small tolerance around that figure. In Petrols the fuel trims are monitored across the whole rev/ torque/load range. so always.

Diesels are different, Cylinder balance / Correction Values / Smooth Running Control (lots of names for the same thing) are switched off above idle and they don't need to be at Zero. Minus figures are good as are positives,
Last edited by STC on Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

grunf1976
OneWave
OneWave

Post by grunf1976 »

Hi,
Looking at your PID's I cant see requested value for turbo . I like and also use snap on scaner but not for vw's. You said that you have VCDS. this is the best tool for this job. Do a run with it and make a log of mvb 010, 011 003. those are the ones that count when dealing with this kind of problem.

Technician
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Technician »

grunf1976 wrote:Hi,
Looking at your PID's I cant see requested value for turbo . I like and also use snap on scaner but not for vw's. You said that you have VCDS. this is the best tool for this job. Do a run with it and make a log of mvb 010, 011 003. those are the ones that count when dealing with this kind of problem.
Thank you for your reply, yes I do have genuine VCDS legal registered fully up to date. Please check your pm's.

Marek Szweryn

Post by Marek Szweryn »

t5 popular problem broken intercooler leak

Technician
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Technician »

The VW T5 is 99% there now but I think at some point I'll need to look at why the engine when cold has a misfire on startup. The heaters have all been changed, brand new ones, VCDS does not appear to show any live data for checking the heaters operation as far as I can tell at the moment. I tried to measure the current flow but the insulation on the wiring at the plugs is very thick and won't allow a clamp to record any data. AD advise fuse box 3 under bonnet location incorporates the heater relay, however the fuse box is not under the bonnet so maybe behind the dash somewhere?

VCDS did advise that the engine top speed is 191 km/hr, but could not go anywhere near that speed, I asked a tuner if the ECM could be remapped from the 85HP, where he said it could, now the HP is 115 and what a difference that has made to the performance, now the van moves. Just a bit miffed now about the misfire, could be heater circuit or fuel pressure I think?

Dcunning35
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Dcunning35 »

Or mechanical, you said that the engine has been rebuilt ,did you do cyl protrusions to ensure right head gasket selected. Maybe take another look at the cylinder balancing .
Is there any smoke or odour when misfire occurs if so what colour.