Golf Mk V 2L Tdi BKD engine misfire at idle

If you are not a PicoScope user and want advice with a diagnostic problem then post here. Forum members may be able to help.
RATECH

Golf Mk V 2L Tdi BKD engine misfire at idle

Post by RATECH »

Regards my 2008 2.0L Tdi Mk V Golf with the 140bhp engine code BKD, it has a misfire at idle. This little misfire only seems to occur when the car is at idle, always when the car is up to operating temp but also can happen from cold too.

I believe a jumpy idle is common to this engine from what I've read online with various suggestions offered but no one fix that seems to apply to all cars as a solution. I gave the car a full service including fuel filter, air, oil + oil filter, etc... This didn't really make any difference to the idle misfire. I'll also point out that the rev counter doesn't fluctuate during the misfire, it sits steady and you just feel a little judder within the car.

Some suggestions I've come across:
- Software update from dealers apparently fixed some cars
- Flywheel. (I doubt this is the problem)
- Injectors
- Cam timing (I believe its hard to set the timing exactly on this BKD engine)

I'm unsure how to proceed with trying to cure this issue, I'd appreciate it if some of ye folks could point me in the right direction to go from here. I can post up fault codes from VCDS if needed of which there was 1 relating to the Cam shaft sensor.

STC
Banned

Re: Golf Mk V 2L Tdi BKD engine misfire at idle

Post by STC »

I can post up fault codes from VCDS if needed of which there was 1 relating to the Cam shaft sensor.
Yes, please post the fault codes.
Also from VCDS Measured Values it would be good to see Injector Corrections, Torsion Value, Misfire Counters whilst it is misfiring.

- Software update from dealers apparently fixed some car
- - - Not so sure about that, I'm guessing that car is now 8-10 years old ?

- Flywheel. (I doubt this is the problem)
- - - A DMF can cause Crank / Cam faults so keep an open mind and don't dismiss that. Also a persistent misfire does have the potential to ruin a DMF.

- Injectors
- - - indeed Yes but first we need to establish if we have a single, multiple or random cylinder misfire ?? Do we have complete or partial misfire(s) ?

- Cam timing (I believe its hard to set the timing exactly on this BKD engine)
- - - Regardless of difficulty it must be Exact, Period !!! One reason I asked for torsion value above.

I note from your "Greetings" post that this a hobby and a DIY interest for you, that may well reflect on the equipment you have available to you for testing ??

Do you have access to an Oscilloscope ? Compression Tester ?

grunf1976
OneWave
OneWave

Post by grunf1976 »

Hi,
That is common for all 2.0 tdi engines and it is usually more noticeable when the engine is at operating temperature.
I found that two things can cause that. First is injector seat inside the cylinder head. Over time it wears and blow by gases deteriorate radial tip of the injector and it is not seating flush with the head. As a result fuel drips into the cylinder and it causes engine shudder at idle (over fueling). Second thing would be hydraulic lifters. They go bad and for some reason they act totally opposite than regular lifters.
Hope this helps,
Mickey

KarolMotronic

Post by KarolMotronic »

Engine pillow may be defective and therefore may be those vibrations but these are my suggestions I had a similar problem where fluid leakage from the cushion and were engine vibration at idle.
But this is only my suggestion in this topic
Replacing the only original part

Regards Karol

STC
Banned

Post by STC »

Hi Karol
Engine pillow may be defective
Pillow may or may not make any sense to non Polish Speakers. However I have a very Basic understanding of the language.

By "Pillow" I guess you refer to "poduszka" - Prawda ?

We would call that the Engine "Mounting"