320d E46

Ask for and share advice on using the PicoScope kit to fix vehicles here.
RexRonaldo

320d E46

Post by RexRonaldo »

Hi all, I have a non start 2003 BMW E46 320d, M47 D204D4 vin FY56507. Would be gratefull if some one would check the timing on the attached file Cam and crank.
Attachments
BMW 320d E46 engine code 204D4.psdata
(14.11 MiB) Downloaded 702 times

STC
Banned

Re: 320d E46

Post by STC »

Hi Rex
Would be grateful if some one would check the timing on the attached file Cam and crank.
Cannot help you with your specific Cam / Crank Correlation request right now. Guess work & past experience suggests that may not be your issue as Injection is not paralysed amongst other things ???

Do you have any DTC's recorded ?

Have you logged on and looked at the Pico Online Waveform Library ??

However, I have looked at your Waveform, added a RPM Math Channel, and made a couple of assumptions / observations.
BMW Delete.jpg
On the face of it you have a single cylinder that has mechanical issues, or 3 that are making some contribution through partial combustion and one not. More non intrusive testing is now required to narrow this down.

Could you post a capture of Starter Current with Injectors disconnected ?

Then another with injectors re connected, (DTC's Cleared) of Starter Current, Crank, Cam & Injector 1 Current.

And finally Starter Current, Crank, Injector 1 Current & Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor.

Thanks

Ps. Do you have WPS or an alternative pressure transducer to obtain an In Cylinder Pressure waveform ?

RexRonaldo

Post by RexRonaldo »

Hi STC, thank you for your help. I appreciate all you have put into your reply. Im away from the vehicle for a few days. I have fuel pressure, Injectors are firing electronically and mechanically but making no effort at all to start. There are no waveforms for this vehicle 'cam crank' etc when you log on line with the Pico Online Waveform Library. I will capture a few more waveforms and post them on here.
Best regards Rex

STC
Banned

Post by STC »

Rex

Just a little afterthought. Will it run on Brake Cleaner or Easy start ?

RexRonaldo

Post by RexRonaldo »

No it wont run on easy start, I just did cam, crank with all the individual injector and relative compression. Number 4 does not look good at all. will attach on here
Attachments
LTB4.psdata
(19.31 MiB) Downloaded 632 times

RexRonaldo

Post by RexRonaldo »

This is the same with no2
Attachments
LTB2.psdata
(15.66 MiB) Downloaded 438 times

steevegt
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by steevegt »

Did you measure compression?

Or better, as STC suggested, register a crank compression waveform in each cylinder...

Can't help with crank vs cam signal, sorry, but the crank compression waveform may show something that indicates a bad correlation.

STC
Banned

Post by STC »

Number 4 does not look good at all.
I would say that 3 of them look bad. Being a relative compression test all 4 could be bad. Just that some are worse than others.

Again, I don't think you have a correlation issue because the Injectors are firing at about the right time, not a hard and fast rule as there could be variables to that.
A jumped chain or belt would still leave you with low but even relative compressions unless bent valves are in the equation.
Add to that the fact that it will not run on Sniff then it is for sure a mechanical issue.

Your next step now has to be an old school compression test unless you have a pressure transducer, which would be ideal and still keep it non intrusive. (Well worth investing if you don't have one and the budget allows)

Does this have solid or hollow camshafts ?

RexRonaldo

Post by RexRonaldo »

Hi STC
I don not have a pressure transducer but will do a compression test with a gauge, Im busy with other work and i will post the results on here with i get them done. Thank you STC for all the time and advice you have given this subject. Thanks also to Steevegt for your contribution.
Regards Rex

RexRonaldo

Post by RexRonaldo »

Hi all, Back at the E46 and I carried out a compression test, Cyl 1= 15 bar, no2 = 22 bar, no3 = 23 bar, no 4 = 26 bar
def no problem with 3 cylinders. After a struggle today I got it to run on easystart, With injectors connected or disconnected
It runs while easystart is being sprayed into it when the easystart stops so does the car. I have removed the injectors reattached to the rail and attached to loom and cranked to see all injectors working in sequence. I have put the injectors back in the head again and when i crank it Im getting a dtc 4B90 rail pressure monitoring on engine start. The actual rail pressure on live data while cranking a few seconds moves from 230 bar ish to 500 bar ish ????