Advice regarding scope wave forms

Ask for and share advice on using the PicoScope kit to fix vehicles here.
scopeman

Advice regarding scope wave forms

Post by scopeman »

Hi all,

New user here ..just got a pico scope 2 channel older model..was trying it out on cam sensor and ignition coil .I have uploaded 2 images ..Cam sensor seems a bit wavy in places ,is this the scope itself causing this ? only i have used a cheap scope in the past and it did not look like this ?

Car runs fine ,no issues.Also any ideas as to why current waveform has that point in the middle of the wave form for coil.
Thanks in advance.
Attachments
Vauxhall_Astra_20160809-0001.psdata
(666.46 KiB) Downloaded 532 times
Vauxhall_Astra_2003_Petrol_20160809-0004.psdata
(3.22 MiB) Downloaded 518 times

PicoPhil
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Re: Advice regarding scope wave forms

Post by PicoPhil »

Hi and welcome to the forum group.
I look at lots of waveforms and these both look strange. Can you give me the vehicle details. Make . Model. Engine size, Engine code. fuel type, so i may investigate. Have you looked at the waveform library to compare. We have a youtube video on saving a waveform and how to use the library. Most of the team are away form the office in Frankfurt doing Automechanika next week so there may be a delay in replying to you.
Thanks
Phil R

STC
Banned

Re: Advice regarding scope wave forms

Post by STC »

pico scope 2 channel older model

Although it has been superseded, the 3223 is still more than capable of measuring cam & coil signals - and some.

Those captures are strange indeed, although if they were an accurate reflection / measurement and those weird bits were in the car it could still run well. Possibly a bad earth or interference ? Genuine scope leads ?

The downside of the 3223 is that you can damage a channel if you forget to use an attenuator. Have you tried it on another car ? How about trying Channel B.

If it is faulty talk to Pico, they don't make a big deal of repairing it neither do they demand an arm and a leg.