renault master 2011 2.3cdi egr issues

If you are not a PicoScope user and want advice with a diagnostic problem then post here. Forum members may be able to help.
Dcunning35
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: renault master 2011 2.3cdi egr issues

Post by Dcunning35 »

Refill the cooling system and run it !! . Make sure the dtc is logged in conjunction with to the lack of coolant . When the dtc is logged as a result of a lack of coolant its ok and will clear when level good.
If its pump then it will be logged eveytime you start up displaying the dreaded words "check injection" .
Danny

jey001
OneWave
OneWave

Post by jey001 »

Hi !

DTC is logged everytime I start...

Today, when I started,
Motor stopped immediately...
I started again, it was difficult, but after some seconds, it was running again. Bad in the first seconds, than good...

After that, white smoke was coming, first from the admission, I think, than from the exhaust.

I have done a Ride (5 kms), after that, no more smoke...

I made 50 Kms, no smoke, no water in the oil, no oil in the water, no excessive pression in the coolant tank.

Stopped for loading a car (my master is a tow truck), started again, motor stopped immediately, started again, smoke for 5 kms, than, no problems for coming back home...

But when I was arrived, I checked water lever, missing 1/3 Liter...

Egr can push water in the motor you think ?

I have maybe EGR + Pump deffect ?

Maybe it's blocked when I start sometimes ?

Thanks for your help...

Dcunning35
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Dcunning35 »

Possible cracked cooler for egr , bypass cooler by joining hoses temporarily
and check again for coolant loss ,smoke etc . If still loosing coolant and smoking I would drain coolant and refill and carry out block test for hc,s in coolant .we are trying to prove or disprove a cylinder head issue .
fix the leak and you will probably fix the problem the pump will run and shut off attempting to cool egr I'm not certain how this is monitored but have my suspicions its the wideband oxy sensor looking at nox .
Danny

jey001
OneWave
OneWave

Post by jey001 »

Hello,

Okay, I'll do like that...

Anyway, you talked me about a Water Leak with your issue ?
Where was the leak ?

The pump you have changed is the number 4 here ? :
(Just behind the left headlight)

http://ecat24.com/opel/images/Opel/X62/F/226.jpg

I'm just thinking :
When my Master Stops after start, that's just when I have the security message : CHECK INJECTION,
I'm not sure the white smoke smells like water burned, I'm asking if it's not smelling Diesel...

Also, I have seen that EGR Radiator and EGR are separated ?

I have noticed, that Water in the expansion tank is lowering ALSO when I don't use my master,

But Bizarre, no water on my garage floor ??!!

STC
Banned

Post by STC »

white smoke smells like water burned,
What does "water burned" or better still "Water Burnt" smell of ?
I have noticed, that Water in the expansion tank is lowering ALSO when I don't use my master,

But Bizarre, no water on my garage floor ??!!
Well, where is it going? In a sealed system we would not be having this conversation.

Massive difference between Knowing we have a leak and actually finding it. Walk in the park verses running a Marathon.

Are you able to pressurise it with a smoke machine up to 3 bar. Or better still a 95% Nitrogen / 5% Hydrogen Mix then use a Hydrogen sniffer ? Hydrogen being the slimmest on the periodic table ? This procedure sure does separate the men from the boys :D Of course not suggesting that you are one of or neither.
Last edited by STC on Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dcunning35
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Dcunning35 »

Yes it is no 4 in the picture but like I said in my first post the pumps on the lh side chassis rail both are supersieded to the same part number.

Regarding the egr valve and cooler they do separate !!!
The coolant will be leaking into either exhaust tract when sat ,ie when engine is hot crack in cooler opens up due to expansion allowing coolant to leak!
Or there is a leak on the cylinder head leaking internally into ,intake ,exhaust,cylinder.
My leaking vehicle was after the original post vehicle and was a simple porous radiator.
This really is mechanical if your vehicle is loosing coolant ,it will trigger the cooler bypass dtc !!
Also if water is entering cylinders it will hydraulic the engine!!
You need to locate the leak ,it wont be rocket science,I don't know what equipment you have.
Pressure test cooling system
Carry out block test
Join coolant hoses from egr cooler and valve if yours is cooled .

With the greatest of respect I have repeated all this many times you just need to test this properly its basic mechanics.

Dcunning35
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Dcunning35 »

Stc
I don't think we should let him use the nitrogen and hydrogen yet ,he might blow the bloody door off!!

jey001
OneWave
OneWave

Post by jey001 »

Ok gentlemen, thank you for your help.

I'm not a mechanic, I just know the basics .

Sorry also for my English mistakes , I am French I am doing my best ...

I'm going to bypass the EGR cooler before changing anything .

I will come to debrief.

STC
Banned

Post by STC »

Sorry also for my English mistakes , I am French I am doing my best ...
You are making diagnostic mistakes, translated to any language they are mistakes. My downfall being that I can only tell you that you are wrong in English - sorry

That's fine with me.

Ignoring / refusing to answer my legitimate questions ???

Again
Are you able to pressurise it with a smoke machine up to 3 bar. Or better still a 95% Nitrogen / 5% Hydrogen Mix then use a Hydrogen sniffer ? Hydrogen being the slimmest on the periodic table ?
Last edited by STC on Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

STC
Banned

Post by STC »

Dcunning35 wrote:Stc
I don't think we should let him use the nitrogen and hydrogen yet ,he might blow the bloody door off!!
Always a pleasure talking to you. Don't ever go away :D