New Feature Idea/Request

Ask any questions relating to the PicoScope hardware or kit contents here.
If you have any questions prior to purchasing the kit post them here.
tech4cars
OneWave
OneWave

New Feature Idea/Request

Post by tech4cars »

Here's a feature I'm looking for. I'm working on building such a tool using a Raspberry Pi, but believe this might be an easy firmware update to a Picoscope, especially for the new 2000 series.

In my work, I'd like a CAN bus data RECORDER and PLAYER. I'd like to be able to attach to a CAN bus in a vehicle and then, record all CAN bus commands for various session lengths, and then be able to play it back into the CAN bus for simulation and testing, either in the vehicle, or attached to components on a bench. Adding features to be able to pick specific start, stop, and loop points would also be desirable. And ability to flag or highlight specific identifiers or entire CAN messages (by color perhaps) would also be of interest.

Mark Dalton
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Re: New Feature Idea/Request

Post by Mark Dalton »

You can do what you are talking about using an Arduino and a CAN Bus Shield. The hardware is really the easy bit. All the work is in decoding the Parameter ID's, decoding the Data and working how each manufacturer is using the Communication Standard. There's loads of good info. on the Arduino Forum. Some good beginner stuff on Instructables.com and there's a good video on you tube on Car Hacking at DEFCON, that will give you a good idea of the sort of work involved in what you're looking at trying to do.

andrewbishop66
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by andrewbishop66 »

I use the microchip can bus analyser you can send on the bus as well as record only down side it only runs on xp
but fun to use

Andrew

Fat Freddy
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by Fat Freddy »

Not exactly what you are looking for but could be interesting.

http://www.wgsoft.de/de/downloadarea/do ... reter.html

HTH
FF