Diagnostic Books and Reading matter ...

Found a useful article or video on the web? Post links that will help other PicoScope users here.
FioranoCars
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Diagnostic Books and Reading matter ...

Post by FioranoCars »

Hi All

it's Friday, time to reflect, and think about training and other things, while the technicians frantically work away to get cars out!

Has anyone got/read this book:
Automotive Electrical and Engine Performance (Automotive Systems Books) by James D. Halderman

or the previous edition, which was called:
Diagnosis and Troubleshooting of Automotive Electrical, Electronic, and Computer Systems by James D. Halderman

We have a new technician who I'd like to progress (and fill gaps in my own knowledge!) and while I have read many manufacturers (VW, Porsche etc) and other authors (James Dillon, Tom Denton, Hillier's) I'd like to know what other people have found useful, especially for more advanced topics, but not missing the basics and grounding principles - several either miss the underlying ground work and jump from "buzz" word to "buzz" word with no real analysis or explanation or never actually get to the details, basically being an overly simplistic overview!

For All new hires, Beginners to Master Tech, we give each of them this:
How to Diagnose and Repair Automotive Electrical Systems (Motorbooks Workshop) by Tracy Martin

If you want to understand what volt drop is, with simple colour pic's there's nothing easier! and most modern "Master Diagnostic Technicians" (well it says so on their CV!) seem to struggle with the basics ... maybe "Master ScanTool Jockey" should be a new title!?

Anyway, I'd be interested to hear what titles, manufacturers or otherwise people have used/read or recommend for the more advanced electrical, electronic, and Can-bus.

... and yes, I have read James Dillon's latest on Can-Bus.

Many thanks
Richard Lukins
FioranoCars.com

busjockey
OneWave
OneWave

Re: Diagnostic Books and Reading matter ...

Post by busjockey »

There are quite a few books I'd recommend. First book is Fundamental Electrical Troubleshooting by Dan Sullivan, a straightforward book on diagnosing electrical faults. Tons of good info and diagnostic techniques. His web site is www.brighterideas.com.

busjockey
OneWave
OneWave

Post by busjockey »

Next one is Vince Fischelli of www.veejer.com. I took his home study course for electrical troubleshooting, very good material and I learned a lot.

STC
Banned

Post by STC »

The books are fine but Properly Structured Training Courses with Classroom tuition & Hands On Practical Training has a place ahead / along side of the reading material.

http://uk-ww.bosch-automotive.com/en/se ... e_training