Trigger and Screen update issue - not updating till end

Ask any questions about using PicoScope 6 Automotive software here.
FioranoCars
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Trigger and Screen update issue - not updating till end

Post by FioranoCars »

We've had a couple of issues using triggers, with the screen not updating (not maths channels) once the trigger has been met.
The attached file is 8.20 mins with 15 secs pre trigger, the file was created from scratch in the current version V6.11.12, and captured using that, so not down to any old version templates or something.

The Screen stays showing only 15seconds, some times during the 8min 5sec full capture the 15sec element seems to stall, but still says recording, and at full capture the screen then is completed.

I will try some old versions (6.6.57 / 6.7.40 / 6.8.8) to see if these change the behaviour, but this seems very odd, unless I've had a mad senior moment and missing something basic!

It's a parasitic drain test using 3 clamps, splitting the full battery (clamp played up so not valid), with 1 on the alternator/start cable, and another on what I think is the main fuseboard cable (ch4 - shows the majority of the drain and what appears to be the suspect ECU that's not doing what it should and sleeping!)
2016-03-15 23_03_54-PicoScope 6 Automotive - [screen-issue.psdata].png
Anyone else having issues with triggers and screen refresh?

Thanks
Richard
Attachments
screen-issue.psdata
(4.8 MiB) Downloaded 689 times

Alan
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Re: Trigger and Screen update issue - not updating till end

Post by Alan »

Hi,

Check Tools / Preferences / Sampling and see what the slow sampling transition is set to. The default is 200ms/div. What this means is that for captures of less than 2 seconds the data is captured and then displayed. For more than 2 seconds capture and display happens at the same time. Its possible this has got set to a much longer time than normal.

Regards
Alan

FioranoCars
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by FioranoCars »

No, not the preferences!
- collection time 100ms/div
- screen time 1sec/div

Uninstalled 6.11.xx as seeing several issues with triggers generally
- not showing the buffer post trigger (have a video but 70mb, so can FTP/link for pico support), but capture correctly
- not triggering despite the data being correct for the trigger (turn off trigger, do a capture - all good, turn on trigger and fails to trigger!) - restart PICO (scope not detached, PC not changed, just PICO restart) and fixes this, not the screen updating.

So roll back time... Started with old version 6.6.57 ...
This works fine, triggers on the button and shows the buffer on screen post trigger during the remaining time. All Good
Then 6.7.40 Ditto all good and also V6.8.8 ... so I'm not MAD !!! :wink: :wink:

V6.9.14 the pre-trigger data on the trigger channel is missing a chunk?! but displays the buffer

V6.10.18 - the trigger syncs about 1 sec delayed (2 captures), but again displays the buffer :o :o

V6.11.12 - trigger fails randomly and the trigger when it works does not display the buffer.

So can't be the scope, cables or PC as they have not moved/changed an inch, this is purely software.
Gotta say ... I'm a little disappointed :( :(

Anyone else using triggers having issues with delays or screen refresh?

WinXP and Win7x86 both suffering. Rolling back all our systems to V6.10.18 as the delay is not mission critical, but the screen refreshing and random trigger failure is completely unusable. If you can recommend another version that is functional, then happy to try it ...

Best
Richard
Attachments
trigger - ok v6.10.18 -trgger nearly 1 sec delay.psdata
(34.04 KiB) Downloaded 664 times
trigger - ok v6.10.18 -trgger nearly 1 sec delay 2.psdata
(30.66 KiB) Downloaded 689 times
trigger - ok v6.9.14 pre-trigger data missing on trigger channel.psdata
(38.16 KiB) Downloaded 710 times
trigger - ok v6.8.8.psdata
(31.71 KiB) Downloaded 634 times
trigger - ok v6.7.40.psdata
(35.7 KiB) Downloaded 641 times
trigger - ok v6.6.57.psdata
(26.14 KiB) Downloaded 689 times

PhilS
Pico Staff Member
Pico Staff Member

Post by PhilS »

Hi Richard

thanks for sending all the information to us on this problem.

I believe we now have all we need to progress this frustrating issue.

Philip Rutt will continue to contact you directly until we have the resolution.

Best regards,
Phil S

FioranoCars
TwoWaves
TwoWaves

Post by FioranoCars »

Thanks Phil

We've rolled back to 6.10.xxx and will probably go back to a 6.9.xx beta (so we can have 2 versions installed together) which appears a little more stable on this issue.

I will email you/Phil a separate issue we are seeing, affecting Zoom amongst other things!

Thanks
Ricahrd